Resource Worker at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Taranaki
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Casual Resource Worker - Hāwera Site
- $24.67 per hour
- As and when required for short or block assignments
Are you driven to make a difference for tamaiti tāne and their whānau? At Oranga Tamariki we are dedicated to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of everything we do and say. All tamariki and rangatahi deserve to feel safe, have their voices heard and be surrounded by loving whānau. We are on a journey to ensure it happens.
We are seeking additional Casual Tamariki & Rangatahi Support Workers to join our pool of Resource Workers at our site based in Hāwera, which services the various communities within the local area. You will play an important part in a very rewarding role.
About the role | Mō te tūnga
Ideal candidates for this role are strong, assertive individuals who are driven to making a difference to our tamariki and rangatahi. This role can sometimes see you facing some difficult situations so it's important for us to hire the right candidates who have a calm demeanor, patience when faced with potentially challenging behaviour, and understanding of the needs of tamariki and rangatahi.
The mahi you do will vary depending on the needs at the time, but could include the following:
- Transport tamariki and rangatahi to school, appointments, activities, and respite
- Minding tamariki and rangatahi when they are not with their whānau
- Weekend work and hours outside of core business hours may be required, and travel may on occasion require you to stay overnight.
- Support, mentor and walk alongside our tamariki and rangatahi during their journey with us
- You may assist Social Workers if the need arises
- Supervising tamariki and rangatahi visits at a variety of venues with parents, whānau and/or siblings, and writing observational reports for the social worker.
What you will bring | Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu
- Flexibility to work varying hours during the week and weekends, and to changing priorities
- People skills, patience, and an ability to see past what someone might be struggling with and an empathy for tamariki and rangatahi
- Experience with tamariki and rangatahi who may have complex needs (Behavioural, Trauma, ADHD, Autism, FASD to name a few)
- Exhibit discretion and be able to earn the trust of tamariki, rangatahi, whānau and other staff
- Demonstrate tolerance and understanding
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience, be able to prepare an accurate, understandable, and useable report or incident record to social workers
- Always show a high degree of consistency in behaviour and act as a clear and positive role model, generating confidence and commitment of others through his/her own ethical conduct
- The ability to work in New Zealand, hold a clean current driver's licence
- An understanding and appreciation of cultural issues and concerns in particular, Tikanga Māori & Pacific Island cultures.
What's in it for you | Nōu te rourou
We are a small, vibrant, and strong team, and we offer training and professional development so that you can develop and grow. We welcome diversity and we work in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do.
Our vision is to ensure New Zealand is the best place in the world to be a child. We are also committed to ensuring Oranga Tamariki partners with hapū, iwi and Māori organisations to find appropriate solutions for tamariki in need.
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment of putting tamariki first, we believe aroha is vital, we respect the mana of people, we are tika and pono, we value whakapapa and we recognise that oranga is a journey.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address.
If you have any questions about role, please contact Info_recruit@ot.govt.nz
Hurry as applications close Monday 2nd October 2023!!
If you are interested in any of our vacancies, please ensure that you make yourself familiar with our code of conduct as it sets out our expectations for our kaimahi and requires you to present at work free from the influences of both drugs and alcohol.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Category:||Social, welfare & community|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Resource Worker PD 160518.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.