Permanent Residential Youth Worker - South Auckland Youth Justice Residences at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Full Time, Permanent, Auckland
- Permanent, Full Time Roles Available in Wiri, South Auckland
- We need role models with a passion for supporting and empowering rangatahi
- We're offering a competitive remuneration starting from $62,366 to $76,000 (Including allowances) depending on experience.
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do. In our work, we aim to demonstrate these values:
- We put Tamariki first
- We believe Aroha is vital
- We respect the Mana of people
- We are Tika and Pono
- We value Whakapapa
- We recognise that Oranga is a journey
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Our Youth Justice Residences provide a safe, secure and supportive environment where rangatahi (young people) who have offended can make changes and get their lives back on track. In addition to maintaining secure facilities, we aim to help rehabilitate young offenders. We do this because every young person of Aotearoa deserves the chance to lead the best life they can, just like other young people their age.
Our Residence team understands that the causes of offending are complex, and that successfully dealing with young offenders, demands action beyond simple punitive measures.
Guiding positive behavioural change is often challenging and our residential youth workers have many responsibilities, including:
- Ensuring that a safe and secure environment is maintained for the benefit of the rangatahi, staff and the community
- Supporting young offenders in their personal growth and rehabilitation with a focus on health, education, training and employment
- Working with rangatahi to help them build and strengthen relationships with their whānau and communities and encouraging them to act on referrals to services
To do well in this role a tertiary qualification in sport, health, education or youth work would be useful but life skills such as carpentry, culture, arts and sport skills are invaluable.
Our Residence runs a 24/7 operation with staff working various shift times. The shifts are a rotating roster with a mixture of morning shift (6.30am-3.00pm) and afternoon shift (2.30pm-11.00pm).
Please be aware that if you are successful in securing the role, you will be required to complete 6 weeks of paid training, Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5pm.
Commencement of the training course are scheduled for intakes on 9th and 30th October 2023.
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
- A passion for wanting to make a positive difference in the lives of rangatahi
- The ability to build positive relationships with a wide range of people
- Good communication skills with the ability to work with others and contribute to a supportive and inclusive team
- Knowledge of Tikanga and Te Reo is an advantage - Oranga Tamariki is committed to developing our kaimahi to develop this important capability
- Willingness and ability to work across a roster that covers mornings, evenings, weekends and public holidays
- A good level of physical fitness that will allow you to safely support and interact with rangatahi
In this role you need to have the right to work in New Zealand, either as a NZ citizen or permanent resident. You will also need to be able to meet the safety checking and police vetting requirements required under the Children's Act, please note that Clean Slate does not apply.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
- Full training, supervision and career development opportunities
- The ability to make a difference to the outcomes for our rangatahi (young people)
- The ability to make long lasting relationships within the community
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online by clicking "Apply Now" please include your CV and cover letter.
If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee, please register or log in using your Oranga Tamariki e-mail address.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com
Applications close: 15th October 2023
Our code of conduct requires our employees to remain free from the influences of drugs and alcohol whilst at work.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Social, welfare & community|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Residential Youth Worker - Position Description.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.