Residential Youth Worker - Dunedin at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Otago
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do. We are committed to ensuring that New Zealand is the best place in the world to be a child. We are also committed to ensuring Oranga Tamariki partners with hapū, iwi and Māori organisations to find appropriate solutions for tamariki in need.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Our Residential Youth Workers have an important role to play. They provide care and support to the young people in our care and encourage and motivate them to make positive choices. This is a permanent opportunity to positively influence young people, help them grow and successfully transition back into the community.
Typical duties of the role could include: coaching rangatahi through our structured programmes, participating in activities with our young people through playing sports or taking part in gym activities as well as supporting our rangatahi with their studies, teaching them life skills like cooking, art and music.
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
- Resilience, initiative and a proactive approach with a positive outlook
- Empathy, patience and ability to see past what someone may be struggling with
- Flexibility to work different shifts - mornings, evenings, weekends and public holidays
- Experience working with rangatahi and tamariki
- Sound judgement with the ability to manage risk and make tough decisions
- Life experience and understanding of what rangatahi and tamariki may be going through
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience
- Understanding and confidence in tikanga Māori and te reo Māori would be a definite advantage but not a requirement
- A full NZ Drivers licence
- Real life understanding or experience in the following disciplines would be beneficial but not essential; psychology, social sciences, social work, sports, music, arts or teaching.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
Oranga Tamariki is offering a total remuneration package starting at $62,366 per annum made from a combination of annual salary and work-based allowances. We also offer on shift meals and mileage benefits and reimbursements when travel is required.
We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address.
If you have any questions about role, please contact Info_recruit@ot.govt.nz
Applications Close: 1st October 2023
If you are interested in any of our vacancies, please ensure that you make yourself familiar with our code of conduct as it sets out our expectations for our kaimahi and requires you to present at work free from the influences of both drugs and alcohol.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Residential Youth Worker - Position Description.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.