Social Worker Youth justice at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Southland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Permanent Full Time Opportunity
- Role based in Invercargill
- Remuneration starting from $81,206- $97,557 based on experience
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do.
In our work, we aim to demonstrate these values:
- We put Tamariki first
- We believe Aroha is vital
- We respect the Mana of people
- We are Tika and Pono
- We value Whakapapa
- We recognise that Oranga is a journey
We are committed to ensuring that New Zealand is the best place in the world to be a child. We are also committed to ensuring Oranga Tamariki partners with hapū, iwi and Māori organisations to find appropriate solutions for tamariki in need.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Youth Justice is a pathway for tamariki and rangatahi who have, or are alleged to have, committed an offence. It gives them a genuine opportunity to change their lives for the better without getting a criminal record and to make positive strides forward.
In this role as a Youth Justice Social Worker within the team, you will work in partnership with rangatahi, their whānau, police, youth advocates and essential government and community support services to address the underlying factors that contribute to offending as early as possible, to reduce the potential for lifelong offending.
This role will provide a real opportunity to positively influence rangatahi, and whānau in your community. Our belief is that in the right environment, with the right people surrounding and nurturing them, any tamariki and rangatahi can, and should flourish.
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
- A passion for working with youth, connecting, understanding and building relationships to help provide positive outcomes for our rangatahi
- A Social Work Qualification with Full Registration and current Annual Practising Certificate with the New Zealand Social Worker Registration Board
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (you will need to provide professional written and verbal feedback to the courts)
- A commitment to bi-cultural practice and a culturally responsive approach (including a good Understanding of Tikanga Māori and Te Tiriti o Waitangi)
- An understanding of the Oranga Tamariki Act and Youth Justice processes
- Proven expertise and social work practice in child protection and an understanding of New Zealand Legislation that relates to the safety of children and young people
- A full, clean driver's licence
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
Oranga Tamariki offer an impartial remuneration package ranging from $81,206 to $97,557 depending on experience and offer progression annually for experience through tenure. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing.
We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
Applications close: 22nd February 2024
To be considered for this position you must hold a Social Work Qualification and/or Full Registration and a current Annual Practicing Certificate with the New Zealand Social Worker Registration Board
If you are interested in any of our vacancies, please ensure that you make yourself familiar with our code of conduct as it sets out our expectations for our kaimahi and requires you to present at work free from the influences of both drugs and alcohol.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address. If you have any questions about role, please contact Info_recruit@ot.govt.nz
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children
|Ongoing - Full Time
|No File Attached
|Social Worker YJ - Position Description 2023.pdf
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.