Senior Legal Counsel - Operations at New Zealand Customs Service, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Are you an experienced lawyer looking for an exciting and impactful role within the public sector?
- Work within a high-performing team that values collaboration and provides opportunities for growth and career development
- Permanent, full-time role
- Wellington or Auckland location and flexible working arrangements on offer
Join the legal team at Te Mana Ārai o Aotearoa / New Zealand Customs Service and play a crucial part in Customs' mission to protect and promote New Zealand through world class border management.
Mō ngā tūranga - About the roles
We are looking for a Senior Legal Counsel to join the Customs Legal - Operations team. This opportunity is a permanent full-time role and can be based in either Wellington or Auckland.
The New Zealand Customs Service is a government agency responsible for managing and facilitating the movement of people and goods across Aotearoa's borders. We aim to create a great place to work, where our people have a sense of belonging and the capability and desire to meet our future challenges. We are an organisation that is clear about our mission and our work really matters to the safety and success of New Zealand.
Customs Legal sits within the Policy, Legal and Strategy Group. You will be reporting to the Chief Legal Counsel - Operations, and you will work across many exciting legal areas. The Customs Legal team provides legal advice in real time on operational issues arising under the Customs and Excise Act 2018 and other legislation that Customs enforces at the border. We also advise on policy and legislative development in the border sector, information sharing, international arrangements, provide general commercial advice and represent Customs in litigation.
This role presents excellent opportunities for lawyers who are looking to take their career to the next level and step into their next challenge. As a lawyer at the New Zealand Customs Service, you will play a pivotal role in supporting Customs' functions and ensuring compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
We understand the importance of career progression and professional growth. We offer a supportive and empowering team environment that encourages ambitious lawyers to thrive. In this role you will be entrusted with significant responsibilities, allowing your leadership skills to grow and to drive positive change. You will have the opportunity to work closely with senior management and contribute to key decision-making processes. Your legal expertise, combined with your ability to deliver strategic advice will be instrumental in ensuring the delivery of high quality legal advice and professional service to Customs. You will enjoy engaging with the business to deliver results and you will mentor less experienced colleagues to support their development in role.
To be successful as a Senior Legal Counsel you will:
- Be a qualified lawyer with at least 5 years' relevant post qualification experience and a genuine interest in Customs and border protection;
- Currently hold or be eligible to hold a New Zealand practising certificate;
- Have experience in providing quick turnaround robust and practical legal advice; preferably within a government or relevant in-house environment;
- Have exceptional critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving skills;
- Be able to build relationships and provide advice to all of Customs' business units, the wider border sector and, where necessary, the wider public sector;
- Achieve results both within a team and independently;
- Show a high level of initiative and judgement, flexibility and a sense of responsibility;
- Be able to coach, mentor and contribute to the team's learning;
- Communicate with influence; and
- Have knowledge and understanding of te ao Māori, the relationship between tikanga and the legal system and the Crown's responsibilities as a Treaty partner (or a willingness to develop that knowledge and understanding).
Tēnā tonoa mai- Apply now
To join Customs in any role, applicants must have New Zealand Citizenship or have NZ Permanent Residency and be able to obtain and maintain an organisational security clearance to Secret level. The successful applicant will also be required to pass an initial drug test.
(*) A New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Permanent Resident who has resided continuously in New Zealand for the last 10 years and resides in NZ at the time of application;
OR a New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Permanent Resident who has resided in New Zealand for the last 10 years and resides in NZ at the time of application, but may have been absent from New Zealand for periods of six or more months within the past ten years, preferably in one or more of the following countries: either Australia, Canada, UK or the USA. You will be required to provide overseas police certificates for these periods spent outside of New Zealand.
To express your interest, please apply on-line by submitting an up to date CV and cover letter that demonstrates your suitability and interest for the role. For further information about this position, please view the position description attached or contact Suzanne Leahy (Senior Recruitment Advisor) at Suzanne.email@example.com.
For any technical role related queries, please contact Sisilia Eteuati at Sisilia.Eteuati@customs.govt.nz
New Zealand Customs Service | Te Mana Ārai o Aotearoa is a member of Diversity Works New Zealand and is committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities, consider flexible working arrangements and welcome applications from everyone who can meet the requirements of the role.
Please note that applications will not, be accepted, if sent direct to an email address. All applications need to be submitted online only.
Applications close at 11pm, Sunday 1 October 2023.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||New Zealand Customs Service|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Legal & courts|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||JD Senior Legal Counsel Operations 23.doc|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.