Residential Youth Worker - Permanent at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Residential Youth Workers, Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children
Kaahui Whetuu Care and Protection Residence, South Auckland
Our Residential Youth Workers have an important role to play. They provide care and support to the young people in our care and encourage and motivate them to make positive choices. This is a real opportunity to positively influence young people, help them grow and successfully transition back into the community.
This is not a 9 to 5 job, our young people require wrap around support from us which is why our Residential Youth Workers do rostered shifts as the facility provides 24-hours, 7-days per week coverage (including weekends and public holidays).
What you will do?
- Coach rangatahi through our structured day and through all life necessities
- Participate in physical activity with our young people by playing sports and taking part in gym activities
- Support our rangatahi by helping them with their studies, teaching them life skills such as cooking, art, music and cultural programmes and mentor them to make positive life choices
- Build rapport with rangatahi who have experienced trauma and assist with redirecting behaviour
What you will bring?
- A full, clean, valid driver's licence - ability to drive a manual vehicle is highly desirable
- Meet the Children's Act safety checking and our vetting requirements
- New Zealand citizenship or residency
- Resilience, initiative and a proactive approach with a positive outlook
- Empathy, patience and ability to see past what someone may be struggling with
- A tertiary education within psychology, social sciences, social work, sports, music, arts or teaching would be an advantage
- Flexibility to work different shifts - mornings, evenings, weekends and public holidays
- Experience working with Rangatahi and Tamariki
- Physically able to keep up with 10 teenagers
- Sound judgement with the ability to manage risk and make tough decisions
- Life experience and understanding of what rangatahi may be going through
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience
- Understanding and confidence in tikanga Māori and te reo Māori would be a definite advantage
Who are we?
Our tamariki and rangatahi deserve to feel safe, have their voices heard, and be surrounded by loving whānau. At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, we're on a journey to ensure that it happens. We are a leading social work practice that is child-centred, trauma-informed, and effective for all cultures. We are a Ministry with a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of everything we do and say.
Oranga Tamariki offer an impartial remuneration package, that offers progression annually for experience through tenure. Annual remuneration for this position starts between $45,039 and $56,454 dependant on experience. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing. We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
How to apply?
Apply online with your CV and Cover Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you register or login using your work email address. For reporting and transparency, it is important that all applications are submitted through our careers site, please do not email through applications and/or CVs.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Info_recruit@ot.govt.nz
Applications close 31st August 2022
At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, our highest priority is the safety and welfare of our kaimahi and the tamariki and whānau we support.
At this time Oranga Tamariki invites applications from fully vaccinated people or people with a valid medical exemption . We will require evidence of your vaccination status or a valid exemption. We will require evidence of your vaccination status at the pre-employment stage of our recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Residential Youth Worker - Position Description (1).pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.