Residential Youth Worker at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Manawatu - Wanganui
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Permanent, Full Time Roles Available
- We need role models with a passion for supporting and empowering rangatahi
- Remuneration including allowances ranges between 49k - 67k
Are you looking for a rewarding career working with youth?
We are looking for empathetic individuals that demonstrate resilience, honestly and common-sense that are available to work across rostered shifts that include allowances and varied work.
Mō mātou | About us
Te au Rere a Te Tonga Youth Justice Residence, within Palmerston North provides a safe, secure and supportive environment where rangatahi (young people) who have offended can make changes and get their lives back on track. In addition to maintaining secure facilities, we aim to help rehabilitate young offenders.
Residential Youth Workers understand that the causes of offending are complex, and that successfully dealing with young offenders, demands action beyond simple punitive measures. We care for up to rangatahi aged 13 to 18 years old who are involved in the Youth Justice system.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Residential Youth Workers provide rangatahi with the confidence and skills to become positive contributors to their whānau and communities.
Guiding a behavioural change is a massive task and means our residential youth workers have many responsibilities, including:
- Ensuring that a safe and secure environment is maintained for the benefit of the rangatahi, staff and the community
- Supporting young offenders in their personal growth and rehabilitation with a focus on health, education, training and employment
- Working with rangatahi to help them build and strengthen relationships with their whānau and communities and encouraging them to act on referrals to services
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
- A full, clean, valid driver licence
- Meet the Children's Act safety checking and Police Vetting requirements
- A valid Visa - New Zealand Residency or Citizenship
- Resilience, initiative and a proactive approach with a positive outlook
- It would be an advantage if you have a tertiary education within psychology, social sciences, social work, sports, arts or teaching.However, life experience is also taken into account
- Willingness and ability to work across a roster that covers mornings, evenings, weekends and public holidays
- Experience working with rangatahi, physically able to keep up with energetic teenagers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience
- Knowledge of Tikanga and Te Reo would be an advantage
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
Oranga Tamariki offer an impartial remuneration package, that offers progression annually for experience through tenure. Annual remuneration for this position starts between 49k and 67k (including shift allowances) dependent on experience and shifts you work. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, enhanced leave entitlements, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing. We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
Applications close: 2nd October 2022
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address. If you have any questions about role, please contact Info_recruit@ot.govt.nz
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Location:||Manawatu - Wanganui|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||residential_youth_worker - position_description 2022.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.