Operations Advisor - Auckland at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Auckland (Tamaki Makaurau)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Would you like to work with exciting technology and dedicated people, while we play our part in keeping our communities safe?
If yes, this is the job for you! And this is a fantastic opportunity to kick-start your career in the Department of Corrections.
About the role and our team
Our Operations Advisers are part of a team who are responsible for providing electronic monitoring services 24/7. The teams are based in Wellington (Upper Hutt) and Auckland region (Penrose).
The team electronically monitors approximately 6,000 defendants and offenders in NZ, using GPS technology and software. The team also provide a prompt service on calls and emails using a PureCloud system.
The role includes some important responsibilities such as liaising with Police to coordinate a welfare check or the arrest of an individual, assisting a Probation Officer in the management of their offender, or problem-solving over the phone with defendants or offenders who are facing difficult and stressful situations.
The environment is fast paced, and energetic and our tight-knit teams are busy, focused and committed to keeping the community safe.
What you need to bring to the role?
This is a busy role, and no two days will be the same. People who are successful in this role will possess the following attributes:
- The ability to communicate and engage clearly over the phone/email with people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Integrity and professionalism
- People skills and a ‘can do' attitude
- Resilience to deal with shift work, challenging situations, and people with difficult behaviours
- Great problem solving and judgement to make sound decisions whilst adhering to process and established frameworks
- Strong computer literacy and ability to multi-task
- This role is based at our office but you must have the ability to work from home when required, ensuring privacy and your health, safety, and wellbeing
Whilst training will be provided to use our inhouse systems, GPS technology and software; you must have the ability to learn new systems, be comfortable with feedback, as well as be competent with Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
What we can offer you?
- Even though you work different hours each week ranging from 28.5 to 47.5-hours, you will be paid 40-hours per week (see the roster outlined below)
- You will receive a paid 30-minute lunch break
- Remuneration range is from $61 500 – $73,080 (starting rate within the range may be negotiable based on relevant experience)
- In addition to the remuneration, you will receive a shift allowance of $1,200 per annum
- You will get over 160 days off a year plus five weeks annual leave, where other organisations offer 104-days off a year
- You will receive an extensive 4–6-weeks upfront multi-media training, which includes live work simulations, reflection sessions, knowledge assessments, and an opportunity to do live work whilst being supported
- You can expect a sense of satisfaction that comes from making an important contribution towards managing the people in our care and keeping our community safe
- RDO stands for Rostered Days Off, which means you don't work on these days
- There are 3-shift types, morning, afternoon, and nights
- The hours worked per week range from 28.5 to 47.5, this includes a paid lunch break
- Some weeks have 4-days and 2-days off where 1-week you will work 3-days on, 2-days off
- Night work will only need to be worked twice in an 8-week cycle with 7 nights in total
- When working nights, you work 4-days on and get 4-days off in one of the weeks and in the other you will work 3-days on and get 4-days off
- If the roster falls on a public holiday and you're required to work, you will be paid time-and-a-half, plus receive a day in lieu
Example of Roster
- Please refer to the job description for an example and explanation on how to use the roster.
Remuneration range: $61 500 – $73,080 (starting rate within the range may be negotiable based on relevant experience).
Mō mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://arapoutama.nz/hokairangi).
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
From 1 December 2021, all people working inside prisons will be required to be fully vaccinated as part of the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021. People in prison are some of the most vulnerable to COVID-19 and due to the ease of transmission, extending the Vaccination Order supports the safety and wellbeing of our staff and people in prison.
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter (PDF) describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Location:||Auckland (Tamaki Makaurau)|
|Attachment:||Operations Advisor - New JD + Roster.pdf (PDF, 333KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.