Corrections Officer Auckland Region Womens - Manukau at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Auckland (Tamaki Makaurau)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Ko wai mātou | Who we are
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and conveys the responsibility for those in our care to reach their potential and our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of people, whānau, and the communities we serve.
Ask those who work in our organisation about what it's like, they will often say; the passion for making a difference is incredible, the work is highly stimulating, and you're exposed to a wide range of challenges and exciting opportunities.
We currently have opportunities available at our Auckland Region Women's Corrections Facility (ARWCF). Situated in Wiri, Manukau ARWCF recognise the women we manage have different needs to men therefore we have set an approach that will give our women the care, treatment, encouragement, counselling, skills and support required to shape better futures for themselves, their children and their families.
Utu ā-Tau | Salary and Benefits
- Starting salary $59,519, increasing as you achieve national qualifications level 3 $64,197 and Level 4 $69,363.
- We offer a stable and long-term career with extensive career opportunities and training and development
- We offer a unique, stimulating, and purposeful role that makes a difference in our community
- Inclusive and diverse work teams where you will experience a strong sense of belonging
- You will complete NZQA qualifications Level 3 & 4 as part of your role
- Full uniform provided
Mō te tūnga | About the role
As a Corrections Officer you will be working in a challenging environment supported by a team of experienced professional colleagues and you will be trained and on how to stay safe. You will engage with people in a positive way and will have the opportunity to not only change the lives of whānau but also influence change through your interactions. You will spend much of your time working within the unit(s) locking and unlocking our people, escorting them to work training, education programmes, the health centre and outside the prison for appointments.
Corrections Officer, He Āpiha Whare Herehere will:
- supervise people's daily routines
- help people engage in their rehabilitation programme and attend appointments or tangihanga.
- motivate and inspire people to make positive changes
- monitor and manage health, safety and behaviours.
- work closely with whānau and other key stakeholders
- be able to work rostered 8,10, or 12 hour rostered shifts across 24/7 pattern including weekends and public holidays
Ngā Korero Mōu | About you
Our team come from a variety of backgrounds and life experiences which all come together to support the fabric of our mahi and our unique purpose the wellness and wellbeing of our people.
- Have a positive mindset
- Ability to engage with whānau, iwi and hapū
- Motivated to make a positive impact in your community
- Inspired by having the opportunity to change someone's life
- Experience within a Kaupapa Māori or Pasifika environment while not essential is desirable
Along with your unique skills and perspective we also need you to have the following:
- Current and full New Zealand driver licence or Restricted Licence with the ability to sit your full licence within the next 4 months.
- Legally able to work fulltime in New Zealand (work visa must have a remaining period of minimum 12 months)
Pre-employment checks are also required and include: Drug test, full disclosure criminal conviction check (Clean Slate Act does not apply), medical assessment, a physical fitness assessment and reference checks.
We provide full training which involves an initial 11 week in-house and online schedule (some of this will be based in Wellington so you will need to be able to travel with overnight stay). On-going professional practice and development support along with a clear pathway to progression.
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience.
All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at email@example.com.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Location:||Auckland (Tamaki Makaurau)|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||Corrections_Officer.pdf (PDF, 94KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.