Kaiārahi Whakaputanga | Product Manager - Climate Data Initiative at Ministry for the Environment, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Fixed Term/Secondment to 31 December 2024
- Influential opportunity to be involved in major climate data transformation
- Calls for strong agile product management expertise to lead & deliver digital data products which respond to a wide variety of user needs
- Newly created role
The Ministry for the Environment (MfE) was recently funded to lead an ‘All of Government' Climate Data Initiative which aims to transform the way climate data, evidence, and insights are used across the motu. The initiative will deliver a wide range of integrated data evidence and tools, which will transform how climate data is used in every-day personal decision making for iwi/Māori, property owners and local businesses and to inform government policy and planning.
The Climate Data Initiative team needs a strong Product Manager to design and deliver an agile data & digital product roadmap, which delivers both the underlying data architecture and products which speak to our user requirements. We need a strong user advocate, who understands how and when to deliver new products or new features which respond to user needs.
Mō te tūranga mahi | About the role
Working with key partners and stakeholders across government and the private sector, you will develop the vision, strategy, and roadmap for creating climate data enablement in New Zealand and build the products and tools to help us get there.
This initiative is complex, with multiple workstreams and lots cross organisation collaboration required. You will build and lead a multi-disciplinary team of data, digital and user experience professionals, and will be accountable for delivery of product design and management, stakeholder engagement and communications for the Climate Data Initiative.
You will need to bring a user-centric approach and Te Ao Māori lens as you co-lead partnerships with hapū/iwi/Māori, businesses, central & local government and the Ministry's climate data teams. These partnerships will establish priorities and pathways to transform how New Zealand uses climate data to drive local climate action and achieve the government's climate goals.
In this role you will grow and lead a team of both direct and indirect reports where you will need to build a strong team culture and develop your people.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
Are you inspired by this kaupapa and keen to make a difference? Let us know if you have:
- Demonstrable experience in Agile product leadership, including squad ceremonies, and the analysis of customer behaviours and needs. This is role is complex and very high profile so requires previous Product leadership (e.g. for a SaaS product, related online software product or digital product).
- Ability to build strong and trusted relationships with senior stakeholders and partners, and can manage competing priorities across multiple, active/interested stakeholders
- Knowing customer needs and keeping these at the core of problem-solving and solution design.
- Demonstrable experience in using data to make product and design decisions, including analytics, user research, survey feedback, or user testing.
- A strong focus on delivery and ability to chunk and prioritise the highest value work for the product team to enable incremental releases.
- Understanding of web technology stacks, including backend and frontend digital product engineering.
- Cultural capability in te ao Māori, with experience of engaging with and working alongside iwi/Māori.
- Strong political nous - you understand the government's role in driving vs. supporting climate action and can deliver high-quality advice to Ministers and senior leaders.
- Demonstrable leadership qualities with experience of and a willingness to coach and uplift the capability of others around you.
- Commitment to developing your cultural capability and capacity in te ao Māori.
Whānuitanga Utu ā-Tau | Salary range
Salary range for this role is $164,276 to $199,444 pa effective from 1 December 2023. Appointment within this range will be based on skills and experience.
Ngā hua ka puta i te mahi ki MfE | Benefits of working at MfE
- a flexible by default approach to create a healthy work-life blend
- agile ways of working, allowing you variety and challenges across the organisation as we work as ‘One MfE'
- active employee networks including Māori Rōpū, Asian Network, Neurodivergent and Disability Networks, Women's Network, Tagata Moana (Pacific Peoples' Network), and Rainbow Network
- opportunities for development and education.
Mō mātou | About us
The Ministry's purpose is He taiao tōnui mō ngā reanga katoa - a flourishing environment for every generation. We are the New Zealand government's primary advisor on the natural and built environment, and climate change.
A key priority for the Ministry is building Te Ao Māori capability. This means we work with our Treaty partners to advance Māori priorities for the environment and for environmental success. We will be confident and coordinated in our ongoing engagement with Māori and lead the natural resources system in engaging for success with tangata whenua. We will grow our capability and capacity to accurately reflect Māori views in our work. We accurately reflect Te Tiriti o Waitangi and Te Ao Māori into our everyday work, by delivering on Te Ao Hurihuri, our Māori capability strategy.
Tono ināianei | Apply now
Apply directly by completing the online application form and submit your CV and cover letter. Note: your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the key skills required for this role.
If you require further information about this position please contact email@example.com. We are currently experiencing some technical issues so if you are having trouble applying, please email a copy of your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The location for this role is flexible which means you can work anywhere in New Zealand and there is an option to work from home. However, a Wellington based candidate is preferred for this particular role. As a flexible friendly employer, we are happy to discuss solutions that may work for you and the business. We value and care about enabling our people to work in a way that means they can work at their best.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities and actively strive to be a diverse organisation with an inclusive culture. We actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply. We are proud to be a Rainbow Tick and Gender Tick certified organisation and are committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for everyone.
We want to ensure any accessibility needs you may have are well supported, so the recruitment process is fair and equitable for all. Therefore, please let us know if there are any adjustments or support we can offer to make the recruitment process more accessible to you. Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to discuss any accessibility needs you may have.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this role.
Note: Please don't delay your application as we may progress interviews prior to the close date.
Rā Katinga | Applications close: Sunday, 3 December 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for the Environment|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Category:||IT & computing|
|Attachment:||PD - Product Manager.pdf (PDF, 431KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.