Education Tutor at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Canterbury (Waitaha)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Are you a qualified educator?
Experienced and successful at engaging and motivating young people and adults who have not previously had success with education?
This is a rewarding opportunity to support prison-based learners to become better prepared for employment and further education.
In this role you will:
- Play a significant role in encouraging prison-based learners to improve their literacy and numeracy skills; work towards achieving New Zealand qualifications; and acquire job search skills.
- Support and coordinate a variety of education programmes and activities offered to the people in our care at Corrections including the administrative tasks involved with these.
- Support learners to engage in a variety of secure online education websites to help learners improve their skills, knowledge, and transition into further study and/or employment post release.
Our teams are dedicated to reducing re-offending.
This is a permanent, full-time role based at the Canterbury Prisons.
About you | Mōu
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Experience working with young people and adults who have not previously experienced education success
- Experience assessing learning needs and developing individual learning pathways
- Experience working with and successfully engaging Maori and Pasifika learners, and those with high learning needs and diverse world views.
- A tertiary qualification and/or a qualification in adult education
- Demonstrated competency in using computer applications including Microsoft Office suite, TEC Literacy and Numeracy Adult Assessment Tool (LNAAT).
- Experience supporting individuals with learning differences by using alternative methods of learning and a thinking “outside the box” approach
- Sound knowledge of NCEA and the New Zealand Qualifications Framework
- Experience with embedding literacy and numeracy
- A strengths-based approach that embraces manaakitanga and whanaungatanga.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills as well as the ability to influence, inspire and motivate learners.
Join a passionate and committed team working in an environment of challenge and diversity. You will be required to work effectively in a custodial environment - leading by example and maintaining professional and personal boundaries. Resilience is a must when working in our dynamic and complex environment! Make a difference and apply now if this sounds like you!
COVID-19 vaccination requirements:
All people working inside prisons are required to be fully vaccinated as part of the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021. People in prison are some of the most vulnerable to COVID-19 and due to the ease of transmission, extending the Vaccination Order supports the safety and wellbeing of our staff and people in prison.
The salary for this role is $65,510 - $73,568 per annum.
Please note that the job closes on Sunday 6 February 2022.
Appointment for successful candidate will based on skills and experience relevant to the role. The work profile for this position is Monday to Friday, working a 40-hour week.
A full driver licence is essential for this position.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Attachment:||Regional - Education Tutor.pdf (PDF, 106KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.