Education Tutor at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Canterbury (Waitaha)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Based at Christchurch Men's Prison
- Full time / Permanent Position
- Be part of the rehabilative journey
Ngā kawenga | About the role
Are you a qualified educator?
Experienced and successful at engaging and motivating young people and adults who have not previously had success with education?
This is a rewarding opportunity to support prison-based learners to become better prepared for employment and further education.
In this role you will:
- Play a significant role in encouraging prison-based learners to improve their literacy and numeracy skills; work towards achieving New Zealand qualifications; and acquire job search skills.
- Support and coordinate a variety of education programmes and activities offered to the people in our care at Corrections including the administrative tasks involved with these.
- Support learners to engage in a variety of secure online education websites to help learners improve their skills, knowledge, and transition into further study and/or employment post release.
Our teams are dedicated to reducing re-offending.
This is a permanent, full-time role based at the Canterbury Prisons
Appointment for successful candidate will based on skills and experience relevant to the role. The work profile for this position is Monday to Friday, working a 40-hour week.
A full driver licence is essential for this position.
He kōrero mōu | About you
About you | Mōu
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Experience working with young people and adults who have not previously experienced education success
- Experience assessing learning needs and developing individual learning pathways
- Experience supporting individuals with learning differences by using alternative methods of learning and a thinking “outside the box” approach
- Experience working with and successfully engaging Maori and Pasifika learners, and those with high learning needs and diverse world views.
- A tertiary qualification and/or a qualification in adult education
- Demonstrated competency in using computer applications including Microsoft Office suite, TEC Literacy and Numeracy Adult Assessment Tool (LNAAT), Pathways Awarua.
- Sound knowledge of NCEA and the New Zealand Qualifications Framework
- Experience with embedding literacy and numeracy
- A strengths-based approach that embraces manaakitanga and whanaungatanga.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills as well as the ability to influence, inspire and motivate learners.
Join a passionate and committed team working in an environment of challenge and diversity. You will be required to work effectively in a custodial environment - leading by example and maintaining professional and personal boundaries. Resilience is a must when working in our dynamic and complex environment! Make a difference and apply now if this sounds like you!
Utu ā-tau | Salary
The salary for this role is $67,491 - $75,793 per annum. Appointment and remuneration will reflect skills and experience relevant to the role.
Ko wai mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://careers.corrections.govt.nz/strategy).
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
This role closes on Sunday 10th July 2022
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at email@example.com.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Attachment:||Education Tutor JD.pdf (PDF, 120KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.