Kaitātari Raraunga Matua/Kaitātari Matua - Senior Data Analyst/Senior Analyst - Climate Change (2 positions) at Ministry for the Environment, Christchurch
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- High profile work – influence positive environmental outcomes
- Fun and supportive teams
- Flexible working to support your work-life balance
Mō te tūranga mahi | About the roles
The Climate business group has two exciting opportunities available.
We are looking for a Senior Analyst with economics expertise to join the Targets and Budgets Team. We are also seeking a Senior Data Analyst for our Emissions Insights and Reporting Team.
1. Senior Analyst, Targets and Budgets team – Fixed Term or Secondment opportunity to June 2025
We are looking for an innovative, experienced and adaptable person with demonstrated experience and skills in data analysis, economic analysis and econometrics, to support the development of Aotearoa New Zealand's second Emission Reduction Plan.
The second Emissions Reduction Plan is due by 31 December 2024. This will help reduce emissions right across the economy and support Aotearoa New Zealand to contribute to the global effort to limit temperature rise to 1.5 ̊C.
This role is pivotal in using data and modelling to help us understanding the effectiveness, cost and distributional impact of climate mitigation policy. This will involve:
- engagement with others inside and outside MfE to clearly identify data requirements and outcomes
- estimating costs for emission reductions and removals, policy options, feasibility and costs
- statistical analysis to understand historical trends
- distributional analysis to understand the effects on households, iwi/Māori and New Zealanders
- contributing to the governance over the standards and processes pertaining to data for the Ministry.
You will work closely with MfE economists to lead the delivery of specific aspects of our work programme, including holding project level relationships with others. Additionally, you'll play an important role in coaching and mentoring analysts in the team.
2. Senior Data Analyst, Emissions Insights and Reporting – Permanent
The Emissions Insights and Reporting (EIR) team is responsible for the delivery of statutory international reporting for New Zealand's climate commitments.
These include the compiling and submitting of annual greenhouse gas inventories and biennial transparency reports to meet New Zealand's international obligations under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Paris Agreement.
This role offers a unique opportunity to work with our cross-agency partners to deliver on New Zealand's international reporting requirements and play a significant role in producing a Tier 1 statistic. Additionally, you will get the chance to be innovative, and will be responsible for creating new emissions insights (data) products.
We are seeking an agile team player, with well-honed data and analytical skills, to permanently join our high-performing team. Having knowledge of UNFCCC reporting requirements and the 2006 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories would be an advantage.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
The ideal candidate would be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in leading data and technical projects.
- Experience in using programming languages (e.g., R).
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to cultivate relationships and partnerships.
- The ability to be innovative, creative, and inclusive of other ideas and ways of working.
- The ability to thrive in dynamic and complex environments and work well under pressure.
- Commitment to developing your cultural capability and capacity in te ao Māori.
You will be adept at explaining complex technical work to non-technical audiences and be comfortable providing advice to senior management and Ministers.
Whānuitanga Utu ā-Tau | Salary range
Salary range for this role is $105,802 to $128,424 pa. Appointment within this range will be based on skills and experience.
Ngā hua ka puta i te mahi ki MfE | Benefits of working at MfE
- a flexible by default approach to create a healthy work-life blend
- agile ways of working, allowing you variety and challenges across the organisation as we work as ‘One MfE'
- generous leave entitlements
- active employee networks including Māori Rōpū, Asian Network, Neurodivergent and Disability Networks, Women's Network, Tagata Moana (Pacific Peoples' Network), and Rainbow Network
- opportunities for development and education.
Check out other benefits of joining us and hear what our people say about Working at MfE | Ministry for the Environment.
Mō mātou | About us
The Ministry's purpose is He taiao tōnui mō ngā reanga katoa - a flourishing environment for every generation.
A key priority for the Ministry is building Te Ao Māori capability. This means we work with our Treaty partners to advance Māori priorities for the environment and for environmental success. We will be confident and coordinated in our ongoing engagement with Māori and lead the natural resources system in engaging for success with tangata whenua. We will grow our capability and capacity to accurately reflect Māori views in our work. We accurately reflect Te Tiriti o Waitangi and Te Ao Māori into our everyday work, by delivering on Te Ao Hurihuri, our Māori capability strategy.
Tono ināianei | Apply now
Apply directly by completing the online application form and submit your CV and cover letter. Note: your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the key skills required for this role. Also, please state which role you are applying for.
If you have any queries about the Targets and Budget team vacancy, please contact Meredith Davis at email@example.com
If you have any queries about the Emissions Insight and Reporting team vacancy, please contact Alice Cleland at firstname.lastname@example.org
The location for this role is flexible which means you can work anywhere in New Zealand and there is an option to work from home. As a flexible friendly employer, we are happy to discuss solutions that may work for you and the business. We value and care about enabling our people to work in a way that means they can work at their best.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities and actively strive to be a diverse organisation with an inclusive culture. We actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply. We are proud to be a Rainbow Tick and Gender Tick certified organisation and are committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for everyone.
We want to ensure any accessibility needs you may have are well supported, so the recruitment process is fair and equitable for all. Therefore, please let us know if there are any adjustments or support we can offer to make the recruitment process more accessible to you. Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to discuss any accessibility needs you may have.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this role.
Rā Katinga | Applications close: Wednesday, 7 June 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for the Environment|
|Position type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||Senior Data Analyst - PD - MASTER.docx (Word, 1.50MB)
Senior Analyst - PD - MASTER.docx (Word, 1.50MB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.