Senior Advisor, National Projects at Department of Conservation, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Can you provide expert technical advice to support the delivery of nationally important projects?
- Do you want to collaborate with passionate subject matter experts and ultimately advance conservation outcomes for Aotearoa?
- New full-time fixed term/secondment (17 months) commencing from 1 Feb 2022
Toitū te marae a Tāne-mahuta, Toitū te marae a Tangaroa, Toitū te tangata. If the land is well and the sea is well, the people will thrive.
With a number of high-priority initiatives and projects on the go, our Strategic Support unit at Te Papa Atawhai (DOC) is excited to announce a unique opportunity for an inquisitive, critical-thinking and relationship-focussed practitioner to help us drive strategic innovation and enable our Operations Group to evolve.
This recently established unit works in close partnership across the DOC eco-system to drive strategic thinking, critical issues identification and to influence the advancement and achievement of DOC's goals through high-impact project delivery.
He angitūtanga | About the Role
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team in Te Whanganui-a-Tara (Wellington), your role as Senior Advisor will be to provide technical advice and support innovation across critical DOC Operations projects, with a core focus on treaty partnerships and regulatory systems. Embedding partnership through every aspect of our mahi, you'll work alongside your manager, team members, project working groups and key internal and external decision-makers contributing to project scoping, design and delivery, acting as a responsive regulator and conduit for the flow of project advice, guidance and information.
You will love improvement work and making links to the bigger picture. You'll be driven to research and undertake analysis to identify risks and emerging issues that impact DOC's strategic priorities. Your strong critical thinking and communication skills will enable you to understand the impact of proposed strategic guidance on work programme delivery and to contribute fit-for-purpose advice and recommendations to enable cross-agency or multi-partner project delivery.
A key priority for our Department is Te Ao Māori, and understanding what it means to be a partner in the Crown-Māori relationship. Reflecting the Crown-Māori relationship under Te Tiriti o Waitangi in this Kaupapa is critical, therefore an understanding of or willingness to up-skill in Te Ao Māori is called for.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
We're calling for a motivated and experienced advisor who feels they can meet most or all of the below capabilities required:
- Strong analysis and research skills – with the ability to review data and research across multiple factors to inform strategic project delivery;
- An understanding of regulatory systems combined with knowledge of risk management;
- An understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles and a willingness to effectively engage with Māori as our Treaty Partner;
- Pragmatic and solutions focussed – maintains site of the big picture and strategic goals;
- Confident stakeholder engagement skills and experience;
- Strong organisation and time-management skills – can deliver to multiple priorities.
Tono ināianei | Apply now
Keen to get involved? Submit your CV and a tailored cover letter (PDF) online that describes your interest and that highlights your relevant skills, experience and personal qualities in line with the above criteria.
Applications close 5 pm Thursday 9 December 2021.
Interviews are expected to take place on or after Friday 17 December. A case study exercise/task may be included in the interview process.
If you have enquiries, please get in touch with hiring manager Arna Litchfield via firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting vacancy T400/13200/5. Note applications will not be accepted via email.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory, including a valid work visa covering the whole period of employment if applying internationally.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Department of Conservation|
|Attachment:||Role Description - Senior Advisor (Strategic Support).pdf (PDF, 194KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.