Advisor, Sensitive Claims at NZ Ministry of Education, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Advisor, Sensitive Claims
Fixed-term, Full-time until 30 June 2021, secondments considered (2 positions available)
Based in Wellington
Kia ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Malo ni, Talofa lava, Tena koutou katoa and welcome.
Help shape the future of Education
At the Ministry of Education, we work together to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes.
Our organisation is made up of more than 3,000 talented and committed people around New Zealand, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
The Sector Enablement and Support group includes a number of teams around the country who work closely with the Early Childhood and Schooling sectors, providers, and communities to provide support, expertise and resources to help children and young people reach their full potential. We also directly provide Learning Support for around 40,000 children and young people.
The Sensitive Claims team is based at National Office and manages our process to resolve abuse claims that have been lodged with the Ministry. We're a small, close-knit team who work hard to ensure this important process is as efficient as possible, while providing a good service to our claimants.
About this role
We are looking for two Advisors to support our claims resolution work. You will be responsible for:
- Researching and collating all information relevant to a claim, from multiple sources.
- Preparing documents to be released in information requests, particularly under the Privacy Act, and under Discovery.
- Providing general administration and document management support to the claims team.
While this role is based in a small team, you will also be working closely with other groups across the Ministry, particularly our Legal and Records Services teams.
We're looking for someone who is diligent, with excellent attention to detail. You will also have:
- Strong analysis skills, including the ability to process and extract relevant information from a large amount of documentation, sometimes under time pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A collaborative approach to your work, maintaining excellent relationships with your colleagues across the Ministry.
- The ability juggle multiple tasks and react quickly and positively to new work.
- A tertiary qualification, possibly in Law, or relevant experience.
- The ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and tangatawhenuatanga.
Experience in preparing responses to requests for information under the Privacy Act 2020 and/or the Official Information Act 1982 would be beneficial.
An important part of this role is ensuring that our electronic and hard copy records are appropriately managed and easily accessible by the wider team. This means you will also need to be very well organised and have sound administration skills.
In return, you'll have the opportunity to work in an interesting and challenging area, where you can grow your skills and experience in a supportive and hardworking team who are passionate about what they do.
Are you ready to make a difference?
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities.
As a government agency, the Ministry is committed to keeping to the Treaty of Waitangi's guiding principles in our work for and with Māori students, their whānau, hapū and iwi.
There is more information in the attached position description. Take a look at it and if this opportunity sounds like you, apply now using the ‘apply online' button.
For further information, please contact Jessica McKelvey at Jessica.McKelvey@education.govt.nz.
Applications close on Friday 5 March 2021.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Attachment:||3 JD - Advisor - Sensitive Claims.pdf (PDF, 130KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.