Lead Advisor, Sensitive Claims at NZ Ministry of Education, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Lead Advisor, Sensitive Claims
Fixed-term, Full-time until 30 June 2021, secondments considered
Based in Wellington
Kia ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Malo ni, Talofa lava, Tena koutou katoa and welcome.
Help shape the future of Education
At the Ministry of Education, we work together to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes.
Our organisation is made up of more than 3,000 talented and committed people around New Zealand, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
The Sector Enablement and Support group includes a number of teams around the country who work closely with the Early Childhood and Schooling sectors, providers, and communities to provide support, expertise and resources to help children and young people reach their full potential. We also directly provide Learning Support for around 40,000 children and young people.
The Sensitive Claims team is based at National Office and manages our process to resolve abuse claims that have been lodged with the Ministry. We're a small, close-knit team who work hard to ensure this important process is as efficient as possible, while providing a good service to our claimants.
About this role
We are looking for an experienced, motivated and well-organised Lead Advisor to support our claims resolution work. You will work with Senior Advisors and Advisors to guide claims through our process, ensuring it runs smoothly. The role includes:
- Receiving and triaging new claims - this will entail reviewing legal documentation and interpreting allegations.
- Contributing to business improvement activities and identifying how we can make our process more efficient.
- Preparing advice for senior leadership including letters of offer for claimants and counsel.
- Providing advice to the Team Leader on how best to respond to emerging issues.
We are looking for someone with strong advisory skills, who is able to give clear well-reasoned advice. We work very closely with the Ministry's Legal team, so an interest in legal issues and an inquiring mind is a must. You will also need to have:
- Empathy with claimants and a commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Strong analytical skills, with attention to detail and the ability to quickly engage with complex material.
- Strong organisational skills, and the ability to clearly identify how best to resolve complex issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to translate complex legal documents into plain-English.
- A collaborative approach and excellent relationship management skills.
- The ability to juggle multiple tasks and react quickly and positively to new work.
- A tertiary qualification, possibly in Law or another relevant field.
- The ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and tangatawhenuatanga.
Some experience in project management would also be useful.
Are you ready to make a difference?
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities.
As a government agency, the Ministry is committed to keeping to the Treaty of Waitangi's guiding principles in our work for and with Māori students, their whānau, hapū and iwi.
There is more information in the attached position description. Take a look at it and if this opportunity sounds like you, apply now using the ‘apply online' button.
For further information, please contact Jessica McKelvey at Jessica.McKelvey@education.govt.nz.
Applications close on Friday 5 March 2021.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Attachment:||2 JD - Lead Advisor - Sensitive Claims.pdf (PDF, 244KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.