Governance & Planning Lead at NZ Ministry of Education, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Transition Team Governance and Planning Lead
- Secondment or a fixed-term contract opportunity for the right person
- Use your skills to establish governance to support the Transition work programme governance arrangements.
- You will join a supportive team that has been established to be accountable for the transition to the new ways of working
Help shape the future of Education
He mea tārai e mātou te mātauranga kia rangatira ai, kia mana taurite ai ōna huanga
We work to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes
At Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education, we work to provide services and support nationally, regionally and locally to the education sector, and in some cases, directly to ākonga and whānau.
We help shape the policies, settings and performance of the education system for early learning, schooling and tertiary. We do this by building relationships and understanding the needs of those who receive our services.
We are making significant changes to how we deliver our mahi by
- Taking practical action to give effect to te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Giving priority to regional and local voice.
- Delivering greater responsiveness, accessibility and integrated services and support.
- Improving feedback loops and information flows.
Our organisation is made up of talented and committed people across Aotearoa from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
The Transition Team within Te Tari o te Tumu Whakarae mō te Mātuaranga - the Office of the Secretary for Education, has been established as part of the new organisation structure that was launched on 4 October.
The team's is accountable for ensuring the broad strategic direction and implementing the decisions and the intent of Te Tāhuhu. The Transition Team has a role to work closely with Te Mahau and the wider Te Tāhuhu groups and act as a dedicated point of focus that retains the connection to the intent of the design and champions these while also supporting the Secretary and Te Ohu Poutoko as they consider the strategic priorities across the whole business agenda.
The Team is led by the Transition Director who reports directly to the Secretary for Education and will be responsible for ensuring the intent of the change is maintained across Te Tāhuhu and will work closely with Deputy Secretaries on responsibilities for delivery of initiatives within the change programme as well as managing the delivery of aspects of the work programme.
To support this, the Transition Team will develop and provide visibility of the overall plan for delivery of initiatives that sit across business groups as well as managing the commissioning of work to achieve the outcomes of the plan.
Mō tēnei tūranga | About this role
As a key position within the Transition Team, you will support the Transition Director to provide high quality governance, planning and reporting expertise.
This role will require you to establish governance capability and processes to support the Transition work programme governance arrangements.
This role acts as a key advisor to senior leadership in order that they effectively carry out their responsibilities in effective governance. This role also provides high quality secretariat services to ensure governance bodies are well planned, reporting is fit for purpose and discussions are strategically aligned
Mōhou ake | About you
As the Governance and Planning Lead, you will bring your knowledge, skills and experience in providing efficient and effective secretariat and advisory services to our senior executive team and governance groups.
You will define, document, and implement the processes and tools/systems required to ensure the principles of good governance are upheld in the Transition work programme governance arrangements.
You will monitor and evaluate the progress of initiatives and report to the Transition Director on identified issues/threats/opportunities as well as risk mitigation strategies and mechanisms and maintain Programme planning documents
You will also offer:
- Demonstrated experience working with subject matter experts, members of senior leadership and Ministers' offices
- Solid understanding of how governance systems, frameworks, functions, and processes work and how to adapt frameworks to fit the culture of an organisation.
- Proactive and solutions-focused and be able to think, write and communicate clearly and concisely with exceptionally high attention to detail.
- Experience in reviewing and developing governance procedures
- Ability to advise the board (or governing body) on corporate governance principles and the implementation of governance programs and risk management frameworks.
- Proven ability to develop, implement, communicate, and maintain governance, risk and compliance policies, processes, and procedures.
- Ability to ensure corporate accountability by communicating with the organisation's stakeholders and broader community.
- Demonstrate a good level of personal effectiveness and relationship management with a willingness to participate in team activities.
- Strong communications skills (written, oral and presentation skills)
- Understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi and its implications for the work of the Ministry.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi? | Are you ready to make a difference?
We need to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to building racial equity and excellence in the education sector. We want to provide flexible working environments where everyone feels relevant, valued and supported.
If this opportunity interests you, please submit your cover letter and resume by using the ‘apply' button. In your cover letter we'd like to know:
- about you, your values, your whakapapa
- your interest and motivations for this role
- the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation.
Please note that this role is affected by the COVID-19 Public Health (Vaccinations) Order 2021.
To be offered this role, successful applicant/s will need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a medical exemption and provide evidence of their vaccination status.
For further information, please contact Veranay at Veranay.firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Midnight - Sunday, 30th January 2022
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Fixed term full-time|
|Category:||Boards and Governance|
|Attachment:||JD_Governance and Planning Lead_ ODS for Education.pdf (PDF, 636KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.