Speech Language Therapist at NZ Ministry of Education, Marlborough
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Permanent full-time position based in Blenheim
Kia ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Malo ni, Talofa lava, Tena koutou katoa and welcome.
Help shape the future of Education
At the Ministry of Education, we work together to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes.
Our organisation is made up of more than 3,000 talented and committed people around New Zealand, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
Learning Support is a critical part of the Sector Enablement and Support Group in the Ministry. We are charged with leading the education sector in ensuring that children and young people with additional learning needs are supported to achieve their full potential through education.
Our Learning Support specialists work closely with families, whānau, caregivers, schools and early childhood educators in English and Māori medium settings and other agencies to help maximise learning outcomes and promote social inclusion.
To learn more about Learning Support, the roles we offer, frequently asked questions, and more, click here.
About this role
As a Speech Language Therapist you will play a critical role in our region's Learning Support team by:
- Working to understand the impact of children and young people's speech and language difficulties in the context of their home, school and community
- Working closely with parents, caregivers, teachers and other specialists to help them support their children with the development of speech, language and communication skills
- Working as part of a trans-disciplinary team where a child's needs are complex.
To be successful you will need:
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Speech-Language Therapy or an equivalent that meets the requirements of the New Zealand Speech-language Therapists Association
- Specialist knowledge of theory, research and practice related to speech-language, child and human development and learning and behaviour
- Ability to translate specialist knowledge into practical information
- Ability to co-ordinate service provision in a multi-agency, trans-disciplinary setting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with children, young people and their families and teachers across a diverse range of settings
- The ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tirirti o Waitangi and tangatawhenuatanga.
What can we offer you?
We offer a competitive salary and terms and conditions. In addition, our specialists tell us they value the following:
- “The ability to make a positive difference in the lives of children, young people and their whānau and contribute to system wide change is a huge plus”
- “The Ministry offers a strong community of practice and the support of a large organisation so I never feel isolated or alone”
- “I really value the ability to work closely with specialists from other disciplines. It enhances my own practice and thinking”.
Are you ready to make a difference?
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities, who will enrich our understanding of the education system.
As a government agency, the Ministry is committed to keeping to the Treaty of Waitangi's guiding principles in our work for and with Māori students, their whānau, hapū and iwi.
There is more information in the position description attached, please take a look and if this opportunity sounds like you, please apply now using the ‘apply online' button.
For further information, please contact Jane McKinnon on 03 579 1886 or 027 5187948 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close 8 July 2022.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Permanent full-time|
|Attachment:||JD SLT.pdf (PDF, 362KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.