Analyst at NZ Ministry of Education, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Forecasting and modelling that that has the lived experience of ākonga and whānau at the centre
- Permanent, full-time role
Help shape the future of Education
He mea tārai e mātou te mātauranga kia rangatira ai, kia mana taurite ai ōna huanga
We work to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes
At Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education, we work to provide services and support nationally, regionally and locally to the education sector, and in some cases, directly to ākonga and whānau.
We shape the policies, settings and performance of the education system for early learning, schooling and tertiary.
We are making significant changes to how we deliver our purpose
So that we:
- Take practical action to give effect to te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Give priority to regional and local voice.
- Deliver greater responsiveness, accessibility and integrated services and support.
- Improve feedback loops and information flows.
Our organisation is made up of talented and committed people around Aotearoa, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for our ākonga in our education system.
Mō tēnei tūranga | About this role
This is a great opportunity to join our group as we move to focus our efforts toward using our evidence base to provide more responsive services for the Education Sector.
The Forecasting & Modelling team is responsible for analysis that supports Early Learning and Schooling policy and operations. The team works across the organisation to promote the effective use of evidence, including by:
- Delivering high quality forecasts of future public expenditure for large components of the over $11 billion that the government invests annually in the schooling and early childhood education system;
- Working with colleagues across Te Tāhuhu, Te Mahau, and beyond on cutting-edge policy development, utilising our expertise in policy costing and impact analysis; and
- Undertaking operational rate-setting and eligibility calculations, to ensure that schools and early childhood education services are appropriately funded.
The salary band for this role is $67,859 - $82,939 depending on skills and experience.
Please note there is further information in the attached Job Description.
Mōhou ake | About you
This role would be a great fit for a motivated team player, who enjoys problem-solving and values great customer service. You will have a passion for interrogating evidence and data and the ability to translate that evidence into meaningful information to inform and improve programs. You will be an organised and enthusiastic analyst who relishes a challenge and the opportunity to make an impact.
You will also offer:
- A tertiary qualification in an area that involves data manipulation and analysis, such as economics, finance, mathematics, or science.
- A desire to be close to the action, welcoming the responsibility that comes with providing analysis that informs decisions critical to the future of the education system.
- The ability to think conceptually and translate new and emerging ideas into evidence-based quantitative analysis of financial and non-financial impacts.
- An eye for detail, taking pride in the accuracy of your work and offering robust and constructive peer review to colleagues.
- An affinity for working collaboratively with internal customers and other stakeholders to determine needs, obtain information, develop approaches and communicate results.
- Technical skills, such as advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and experience with analysis, database, or query products such as SAS, SQL or R
Professional experience in a relevant discipline such as policy modelling, rate-setting, cost benefit analysis, forecasting, or data extraction, manipulation and reporting is not a pre-requisite, but would be an advantage, as would experience in using the Integrated Data Infrastructure (IDI).
You will work with a team of people equally passionate about analysis and will have the opportunity to learn from an experienced and capable team.
Mātau rōpū ake | About our group and team
Te Pae Aronui was established within Te Mahau as part of a wider change to provide the education sector with support and services that are more locally responsive, more accessible, and more integrated.
As part of Te Mahau, Te Pae Aronui provides the service design, data insights, regulation, learning and other support our three frontline Te Mahau regional teams, and ākonga rely on.
We use information, insights and service design functions to help Te Mahau frontline groups design and deliver services for the education sector. We service and support the frontline groups and play an integration role between the enabling functions and our frontline services.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi? | Are you ready to make a difference?
We provide flexible working environments where everyone feels relevant, valued and supported. So, if working from home and/or having a flexible start and finish to the day will help with this, we can usually make it happen. We'd love to hear what this might look like for you, so feel free to outline this in your Cover Letter.
For more information on the role, please look at the job description. For additional information on the changes Te Tāhuhu are embarking on, please visit our careers centre. If this opportunity interests you, please submit your cover letter and resume by using the ‘apply' button.
In your cover letter we'd like to know:
- about you, your values, your whakapapa
- your interest and motivations for this role
- the abilities, strengths, personal attributes, and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation.
The Ministry encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated although currently this is a voluntary requirement. There is no requirement to show evidence of your vaccine status as this role is not covered by the Public Health (Vaccinations) Order.
For further information, please contact Rowena at email@example.com.
Applications close Midnight - Sunday 21 August 2022
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Permanent full-time|
|Category:||Information / Records Management|
|Attachment:||Job Description - Analyst Forecasting and Modelling.pdf (PDF, 310KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.