Senior Education Adviser, Māori Medium at NZ Ministry of Education, Northland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Permanent, full-time role
- Te Mahau | Te Tai Raro (North) Te Tai Tokerau, Whangārei
Do you have a passion for improving educational achievement for all students/ākonga, particularly Māori and Pacific learners, and those with learning support needs? Are you currently working in the education sector and need a new challenge?
Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education is looking for a Senior Education Adviser to be part of a close-knit, community-focused team based at our Whangārei Office in one of New Zealand's warmest locations, offering a fantastic lifestyle and work-life balance opportunity.
Help shape the future of Education
He mea tārai e mātou te mātauranga kia rangatira ai, kia mana taurite ai ōna huanga
We work to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes
At Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education, we work to provide services and support nationally, regionally and locally to the education sector, and in some cases, directly to ākonga and whānau.
We help shape the policies, settings and performance of the education system for early learning, schooling and tertiary. We do this by building relationships and understanding the needs of those who receive our services.
We are making significant changes to how we deliver our mahi by:
- Taking practical action to give effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Giving priority to regional and local voice.
- Delivering greater responsiveness, accessibility and integrated services and support.
- Improving feedback loops and information flows.
Our organisation is made up of talented and committed people across Aotearoa from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person, and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
Te Mahau | Te Tai Raro (North) are a frontline group who collectively provide leadership and integrated services to the sector and others. We develop and harness existing relationships with communities at the regional and local level, and provide learning support, education advice, and regulation functions for schools and early learning services.
Mō tēnei tūranga | About this role
As a Senior Education Adviser, Māori Medium, you will work directly with our tumuaki, senior school leaders, Kāhui Ako | Communities of Learning and Boards of Trustees on strengthening educational performance in schools and kura, with a particular focus on our Māori-medium kura.
You will be working as part of the Ministry of Education's regional team, ensuring that sector leaders and the communities in which they operate have access to the expertise, programmes and resources that allow Ākonga Māori to reach their full potential.
Mōhou ake | About you
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A tertiary qualification or other relevant discipline.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work with student achievement data to determine needs and priorities.
- Experience in developing and implementing projects.
- An ability to develop strong working relationships both within and outside the Ministry.
- In-depth knowledge of Tikanga Māori and fluency in Te Reo Māori (written and spoken).
- An understanding of education systems in New Zealand, and relevant education legislation.
- An understanding of factors which influence learner achievement and participation.
- Knowledge of the New Zealand National Curriculum, and Te Marauranga o Aotearoa, the curriculum for Māori immersion education.
- An understanding of National Education and Learning Priorities (NELP), Ka Hikitia, the Action Plan for Pacific Education, and Success for All and how these documents impact on this work.
- The ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tirirti o Waitangi and tangatawhenuatanga.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively across a diverse range of settings.
- A current full driver's licence is essential.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi? | Are you ready to make a difference?
We need to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to building racial equity and excellence in the education sector. We want to provide flexible working environments where everyone feels relevant, valued and supported.
If this opportunity interests you, please submit your cover letter and resume by using the ‘apply' button. In your cover letter we would like to know:
- about you, your values, your whakapapa
- your interest and motivations for this role
- the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation.
The Ministry encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated although currently this is a voluntary requirement. There is no requirement to show evidence of your vaccine status as this role is not covered by the Public Health (Vaccinations) Order.
There is further information regarding this role in the position description attached.
For further information, please contact Kath Corby at 027 251 0956 and/or email Kath.Corby@education.govt.nz.
Applications close at midnight on Monday 22 August, 2022
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Permanent full-time|
|Attachment:||JD - Senior Education Adviser Maori Medium.pdf (PDF, 260KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.