Ministerial Appointments at NZ Ministry of Education, Flexible location
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Ministerial Appointment to School Boards, Kingslea
Expressions of interest are invited from people who wish to be considered for Ministerial Appointment to the Kingslea School Board for a term of up to three years.
Kingslea School provides flexible education services throughout the country to meet the diverse learning needs of school-aged students who are in residential care.
The school's Board is a Crown entity whose constitution allows for up to two appointments to be made by the Minister of Education. The Board is the employer of school staff and sets the school's overall strategic direction. Members of the Board work to ensure educational plans are in place and the goals of the school are met for the benefit of all students and their whānau.
About Kingslea School
Kingslea School is not like any other school in New Zealand. It is a special, composite, state school delivering education to children and young people within residential and non-residential care throughout New Zealand. Teachers and students belong and are connected within a multi-site, nationwide school. Kingslea school operates at the following locations Korowai Manaaki and Whakatakapokai in Auckland, Te Maioha o Parekarangi in Rotorua, Te Oranga and Arahina ki Ōtautahi in Christchurch, Te Puna Wai ō Tuhinapo in Rolleston and Puketai in Dunedin.
All students fit the Ministry of Education profile for priority learners and come to Kingslea School for Care and Protection and/or Youth Justice related issues. The classroom dynamics can change daily, and students can attend for periods between two days and two years.
Kingslea School is a sanctuary, specifically geared toward continuous learning, where students can rediscover the magic of learning and achieve their potential.
Does this sound like you?
Kingslea School needs a well-rounded Board, with members who bring a balance of skills and experience, which may include the following:
- A Te Ao Māori, Pacific, or an inclusive education lens that can articulate the needs of students at Kingslea.
- An understanding of school governance systems and structures;
- An interest and/or experience in care and protection and/or youth justice;
- An understanding of the interfaces between care and protection, youth justice, Education and the Welfare system and their impact on students;
- An approach that is forward thinking, embraces innovation and is receptive to new ideas;
- Ability to work in a team, excellent communication and strategic thinking skills;
- Sound judgement and a willingness to ask challenging questions;
- Experience or knowledge in the areas of education, finance, law, property, human resources, health, mental health, and /or social sectors.
If wish to be considered for Ministerial Appointment to the Kingslea School Board you can view the application pack and apply online through our Careers Centre, jobs.education.govt.nz.
You will need to provide:
- An electronic copy of your CV and cover letter. Within your cover letter, please outline your suitability for the role:
- Briefly describe your interest and/or experience in school governance and provide examples.
- Briefly describe your interest and experience with the students with special education needs, Māori students and Pacific students, and provide examples. If you are able, please also include your interest in and/or experience with Kingslea School, with examples.
- Briefly describe other knowledge, skills, personal attributes, and experience relevant to the proposed appointment, with examples.
- Please provide the names and telephone contact details of two referees who can attest to your knowledge and experience required for this position. Please note that referees should not be Ministry of Education employees.
For further information please contact Helen Greaney on email@example.com or 04 4631056.
Applications due: Sunday 21 August 2022
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Fixed term part-time|
|Attachment:||2022 Ministerial Appointments - Legislative Eligibility Criteria.pdf (PDF, 143KB)
Ministerial Appointment for Kingslea School Boards FAQs 2022.pdf (PDF, 219KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.