Senior Analyst at NZ Ministry of Education, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Two senior roles in a new data and analytics team: a Senior Data Analyst for 12 months and a Senior Analyst (permanent).
- Grow yourself and your career surrounded by a talented, innovative team
- Work in a supportive and flexible environment
- Take on challenging issues and questions
- Know that your advice matters
Help shape the future of Education
He mea tārai e mātou te mātauranga kia rangatira ai, kia mana taurite ai ōna huanga
We work to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes
At Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education, we work to provide services and support nationally, regionally and locally to the education sector, and in some cases, directly to ākonga and whānau.
We shape the policies, settings and performance of the education system for early learning, schooling and tertiary.
We are making significant changes to how we deliver our purpose
So that we:
- Take practical action to give effect to te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Give priority to regional and local voice.
- Deliver greater responsiveness, accessibility and integrated services and support.
- Improve feedback loops and information flows.
Our organisation is made up of talented and committed people around Aotearoa, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for our ākonga in our education system.
Mō tēnei tūranga | About these roles
We are looking for a Senior Data Analyst for 12 months to work in the Integrated Data Infrastructure (IDI) supporting the Equity Index and a Senior Analyst on a permanent basis to support evaluations and provide quantitative analysis to the Ministry. Both positions are based in Wellington CBD and report to the Manager, Insights and Analysis. However, for the permanent Senior Analyst role there is greater flexibility around the location of the role. For the 12-month Senior Data Analyst role prior experience with the IDI is essential as is being able to work in Wellington central. For the Senior Analyst role experience with the IDI is an advantage. Both roles will undertake complex analysis to support an improved understanding of the Education sector.
The salary band for the roles is A8 ($92,598 to $113,175), depending on skills and experience.
Please note there is further information in the attached Job Descriptions.
Mōhou ake | About you
There is an overlap of skills between the Senior Data Analyst and Senior Analyst roles. For either role you will have significant coding experience, project management experience, familiarity with data analysis and management techniques and finding innovative ways to improve the translation of data and evidence as well as explaining and communicating the detail behind data to a user or stakeholder. For the 12-month Senior Data Analyst role it is essential you have experience in working in the IDI. For the permanent Senior Analyst role, you will enjoy developing relationships, have experience with project management, evaluation and research projects and enjoy presenting and translating technical projects for non-technical audiences.
You will be able to show a history of working collectively and collegially with others and have a deep appreciation of the institutional and political context within which your work has been conducted.
You will also have:
- A tertiary qualification in quantitative/qualitative analysis, mathematics, economics, finance, evaluation, statistics or equivalent.
- Significant experience in analysing and manipulating large data sets (R, SQL, SAS preferred).
- The ability to communicate complex concepts and evidence to a variety of audiences, both in writing and verbally.
- An affinity for working collaboratively with internal customers and other stakeholders to determine needs, obtain information, develop approaches, and communicate results.
- A proven track record in the delivery of complex analysis.
- An acute eye for detail, taking pride in the accuracy of your work and offering robust and constructive peer review to colleagues and sound mentoring skills.
Mātau rōpū ake | About our group and team
These roles are within the Insights and Analysis team that is part of Te Pae Aronui. Te Pae Aronui was established within a larger group called Te Mahau as part of a wider change to provide the education sector with support and services that are more locally responsive, more accessible, and more integrated. Te Pae Aronui provides the service design, data insights, regulation, learning and other support our three frontline Te Mahau regional teams, and ākonga rely on.
The Insights and Analysis team generates insights through quantitative analysis and modelling using a data science approach. This includes, but is not limited to, being the Ministry of Education's centre of expertise for conducting research and analysis of the experiences and outcomes of learners in the schooling and early childhood education sectors using the IDI. The team provides an expert data analytical service to other parts of the Ministry, using fit-for-purpose technological and analytical approaches to ensure that key policy and operational decisions in the education system are informed by evidence and new insights.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi? | Are you ready to make a difference?
We provide flexible working environments where everyone feels relevant, valued and supported. So, if working from home and/or having a flexible start and finish to the day will help with this, we can usually make it happen. We'd love to hear what this might look like for you, so feel free to outline this in your cover letter.
For more information on the roles, please look at the job descriptions. For additional information on the changes Te Tāhuhu are embarking on, please visit our careers centre. If these opportunities interests you, please submit your cover letter and resume by using the ‘apply' button.
In your cover letter we'd like to know:
- about you, your values, your whakapapa
- your interest and motivations for this role
- the abilities, strengths, personal attributes, and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation
- and if you intend to apply for both roles please indicate which would be your preference.
For further information, please contact James Swindells at email@example.com
Applications close Midnight - 27 November 2022
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Permanent full-time|
|Attachment:||Senior Analyst - JD.pdf (PDF, 268KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.