Psychologist/Special Education Advisor at NZ Ministry of Education, Canterbury
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Canterbury Chatham Islands Region
Psychologist, Special Education Advisor
0.6 Permanent position
Full Time Fixed Term / Secondment
Kia ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Malo ni, Talofa lava, Tena koutou katoa and welcome.
We have a big and important job to do and we need your help to make a real difference in children and young people's lives by working as part of a trans-disciplinary team of dedicated professionals.
Help shape the future of Education
At the Ministry of Education, we work together to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes. Our organisation is made up of more than 3,000 talented and committed people around New Zealand, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
Learning Support is a critical part of the Ministry of Education. We are charged with leading the education sector in ensuring that children and young people with additional learning needs are supported to achieve their full potential through education. Our Learning Support specialists work closely with families, whānau, caregivers, schools and early childhood educators in English and Māori medium settings and other agencies to help maximise learning outcomes and promote social inclusion. An opportunity exists for Psychologists or Special Education Advisers to join our team based in Canterbury. There are a range of positions; part time, permanent and full time, fixed term. We would also consider a secondment opportunity for the right candidate.
The successful applicant will:
- Have demonstrable knowledge, experience, and skills in supporting children and young people who have social and emotional challenges that significantly impact on their learning and wellbeing in an educational context.
- Be responsible for providing a range of assessment and intervention services to students as well as establishing effective relationships with parents, families, whānau, educators and others working in the community
- Have relevant special education qualifications and/or a current New Zealand Psychologists Board registration
- Translate specialist knowledge into practical information
- Co-ordinate service provision in a multi-agency, trans-disciplinary setting
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with children, young people and their families and teachers across a diverse range of settings.
- Have a current driver's licence
Applicants for the position should be able to demonstrate the following key attributes:
- Ability to plan and manage time effectively to meet goals and objectives
- Knowledge of the curriculum in schools
- Knowledge and understanding of inclusive education practices
- Ability and willingness to work co-operatively as a team member in a range of contexts
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Sensitivity to cultural and ethnic diversity and commitment to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
Are you ready to make a difference?
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds who will enrich our understanding of the education system.
As a government agency, the Ministry is committed to keeping to Te Tiriti o Waitangi guiding principles in our work for and with Māori students, their whānau, hapū and iwi.
There is more information in the position description attached, please take a look and if this opportunity sounds like you, please apply now using the ‘apply online' button.
For further information contact Marion Kazakos at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: Friday 13 January
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Fixed term full-time|
|Attachment:||Job Description - Psychologist1.docx (Word, 107KB)
Job Description - Special Education Advisor.docx (Word, 86KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.