Special Education Advisor at NZ Ministry of Education, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Special Education Advisor
- Position available in the Maungawhau office.
- Salary Range $64,916 to $92,192 depending of experience
- Make a real difference in children and young people's lives
- Work as part of a trans-disciplinary team of dedicated professionals
Kia ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Malo ni, Talofa lava, Tena koutou katoa and welcome.
Help shape the future of Education
At the Ministry of Education, we work together to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes.
Our organisation is made up of more than 3,000 talented and committed people around New Zealand, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
Learning Support is a critical part of the Sector Enablement and Support Group in the Ministry. We are charged with leading the education sector in ensuring that children and young people with additional learning needs are supported to achieve their full potential through education.
Our Learning Support specialists work closely with families, whānau, caregivers, schools and early childhood educators in English and Māori medium settings and other agencies to help maximise learning outcomes and promote social inclusion.
About this role
As a Special Education Advisor you will play a critical role in our region's Learning Support team by;
- Supporting parents and whānau, teachers and schools to meet the learning support needs of children and young people
- Developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with a range of professional partners, community and sector groups and support agencies to ensure that services are coordinated and effective
- Enhancing inclusive practices in schools and other educational settings
- Assessing, collaboratively planning, supporting and monitoring the implementation of individual (or group) intervention plans.
To be successful you will need;
- A Bachelor of Teaching or Post-graduate Diploma in Special Education
- Experience working with children and young people with learning needs in a classroom or other relevant setting
- Experience of supporting other education professionals to meet the needs of children and young people with additional needs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with children, young people and their families and teachers across a diverse range of settings
- The ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tirirti o Waitangi and tangatawhenuatanga.
What can we offer you?
We offer a competitive salary and terms and conditions. In addition, our specialists tell us they value the following;
- “The ability to make a positive difference in the lives of children, young people and their whānau and contribute to system wide change is a huge plus”
- “The Ministry offers a strong community of practice and the support of a large organisation so I never feel isolated or alone”
- “I really value the ability to work closely with specialists from other disciplines. It enhances my own practice and thinking”.
Are you ready to make a difference?
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities, who will enrich our understanding of the education system.
As a government agency, the Ministry is committed to keeping to the Treaty of Waitangi's guiding principles in our work for and with Māori students, their whānau, hapū and iwi.
There is more information in the position description attached, please take a look and if this opportunity sounds like you, please apply now using the ‘apply online' button.
For further information, please contact Marlene at Auckland.Recruitment@education.govt.nz
Applications close on Friday 10 February 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Permanent full-time|
|Attachment:||Special Education Advisor - Job Description .pdf (PDF, 255KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.