Speech Language Therapist at NZ Ministry of Education, Palmerston North
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Speech Language Therapist
Permanent | Full Time
Learning Support, East Team, Palmerston North
- We have a big and important job to do, and we need your help
- Make a real difference in children and young people's lives
- Work as part of a trans-disciplinary team of dedicated professionals
Use your specialist skills and experience to help maximise learning for Māori, Pacific and for children and young people with learning support needs.
Help shape the future of Education
He mea tārai e mātou te mātauranga kia rangatira ai, kia mana taurite ai ōna huanga
We work to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes
At Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education, we work to provide services and support nationally, regionally and locally to the education sector, and in some cases, directly to ākonga and whānau.
We help shape the policies, settings and performance of the education system for early learning, schooling and tertiary. We do this by building relationships and understanding the needs of those who receive our services.
We are making significant changes to how we deliver our mahi by
- Taking practical action to give effect to te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Giving priority to regional and local voice.
- Delivering greater responsiveness, accessibility and integrated services and support.
- Improving feedback loops and information flows.
Our organisation is made up of talented and committed people across Aotearoa | New Zealand from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
Learning Support is a critical part of the Te Mahau, Te Tai Whenua.. We are charged with leading the education sector in ensuring that children and young people with additional learning needs are supported to achieve their full potential through education.
Our Learning Support specialists work closely with families, whānau, caregivers, schools and early childhood educators in English and Māori medium settings and other agencies to help maximise learning outcomes and promote social inclusion.
Mō tēnei tūranga | About this role
As a Speech Language Therapist, you will play a critical role in our region's Learning Support team by:
- Working to understand the impact of children and young people's communication needs in the context of their home, education setting and community
- Working closely with parents, caregivers, teachers, and other specialists to help them support their children with the development of speech, language and communication skills
- Working holistically as part of a trans-disciplinary team where a child's needs are complex.
Mōhou ake | About you
To be successful you will need:
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Speech-Language Therapy or an equivalent that meets the requirements of the New Zealand Speech-Language Therapists' Association
- Specialist knowledge of theory, research and practice related to speech-language, child, and human development, and learning and behaviour
- Ability to translate specialist knowledge into practical information
- Ability to co-ordinate service provision in a multi-agency, trans-disciplinary setting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with children, young people and their families and teachers across a diverse range of settings
- The ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and tangata whenuatanga.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi? | Are you ready to make a difference?
We need to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to building racial equity and excellence in the education sector. We provide flexible working environments where everyone feels relevant, valued and supported.
If this opportunity interests you, please submit your cover letter and resume by using the ‘apply' button.
In your cover letter we'd like to know:
- about you, your values, your whakapapa
- your interest and motivations for this role
- the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation.
All applications must be submitted online. For further information, please contact Peggy Warren at 06 350 9895 or email email@example.com
Applications close Midnight Sunday 2nd April 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Ministry of Education|
|Position type:||Permanent full-time|
|Attachment:||Speech Language Therapist - JD.pdf (PDF, 240KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.