Case Manager - Hawkes Bay Regional Prison at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Hawkes Bay (Te Matau a Maui)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
About the role | Mō te tūnga
As Kaiwhakahaere Kēhi (Case Manager) for Ara Poutama Aotearoa, you will work with people in our care and their whanau to address criminogenic behaviours and reduce reoffending. Using principles of manaaki, kaitiaki, wairua, rangatira, and whanau, you will manage people in our case and also prepare reports for the Courts and New Zealand Parole Board.
You will contribute to public safety, viewing this through the lens of manaaki, positive relationships, and the uplifting of wellbeing of people in our care. By focusing on the wellbeing of the person who has come into our care and management, you will help reduce the chances of them returning to the justice system. You will treat those in our care and management with respect, upholding their mana and dignity.
Case managers lead the rehabilitation and reintegration of prisoners, using a person-centric approach. Some core areas of case management practice are:
- Considering prisoners' rehabilitation and reintegration within the context of their family, whānau, and pro social/community support
- Demonstrating motivational approaches with prisoners and their family, whānau, or key supports
- Demonstrating a multi-disciplinary approach to working with staff and external stakeholders
- Engaging with people in prison based on risk, need and responsivity principles
- Engaging Māori leadership and expertise to support pathways for Māori
This role is based at Hawkes Bay Regional Prison.
About you | Mōu
Using a range of services and techniques, you work with external agencies and the person in prison's families to support their rehabilitation. Central to your success as a Case Manager is the ability to exercise sound professional judgement ensuring that person's needs and services are appropriately identified and treatment and programmes are well aligned. You will need to demonstrate the following:
- Proven knowledge and experience in case management, rehabilitation and reintegration related disciplines and practices
- The ability to operate safely and effectively within a correctional environment
- Strong report writing and planning and organising skills
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- The ability to give, receive and take on feedback in a highly reflective environment
- Highly developed relationship management and communication skills
- An ability to motivate and support prisoners to make positive changes over the long-term
- An ability to think critically and explore bias in thinking and decision making
- Knowledge and experience working with Māori and Pacific peoples, their families and communities
- A current and full New Zealand driver licence
If you are currently a Department of Corrections staff member employed for 18 months or longer in a permanent capacity as a Case Manager and want to transfer location you do not need to complete the full application process. Instead, please register your interest for an internal transfer via the department's Intranet.
Utu ā-tau | Salary
The salary for this position starts at $60,606. Once in the role we have 4 competency levels where you are able to increase your salary with the highest being $80,716.
Mō mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us by Iwi and conveys the responsibility we have to support and guide those in our care to reach their potential. Our strategy, Hōkai Rangi (https://arapoutama.page.link/Eit5), provides a clear direction of travel - one that builds on the good things that are already happening, and, most importantly, how we can innovate to find new ways of doing things to achieve better outcomes for Māori, whānau and communities.
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, submit your tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for applying for the vacancy highlighting your relevant skills, experience and personal qualities essential to this role.
In line with our Strategy Hōkai Rangi, we are prioritising applications from people who have experience in a Kaupapa Māori or Pasifika environment and/or a willingness to learn. Please highlight any relevant experience and/or language skills in your application.
For reporting and transparency, it is important that all applications are submitted through our careers site. If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Location:||Hawkes Bay (Te Matau a Maui)|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.