General Instructor - Catering at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Hawkes Bay (Te Matau a Maui)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Combine your passion for empowering others with your catering skills and expertise
- Pass on your knowledge and make a difference
Offender Employment (OE) is all about giving our men the opportunity to gain skills and work experience to increase their chances of obtaining employment after release.
Ngā kawenga | About the role
As a Catering Instructor at Hawkes Bay Regional Prison, you will be working with prisoners, providing direct supervision and practical training in a commercial kitchen setting. From general meal preparation and delivery, to corporate catering, you will enable others to achieve NZQA qualifications linked to the ServiceIQ Industry Training Organisation. In providing a platform of good working habits for the men we manage to take forward in their futures, you will be supporting rehabilitation and reintegration practices.
He kōrero mōu | About you
This rewarding position will suit someone who possesses:
- a proven passion & experience in the Catering industry at a professional level
- experience working within a Kaupapa Māori or Pasifika environment, and/or demonstrates a willingness to learn about and operate effectively within cultural expectations
- outstanding H&S practices
- exceptional leadership & communication skills
- the ability to motivate and develop people within a team environment
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
- London City & Guilds 706/1 and 706/2 or equivalent trade qualifications
- a current and full non-conditional New Zealand or international driver licence (NB. You must obtain a full NZ Driver Licence before an offer of employment can be formally made to you)
- the legal right to work full-time in New Zealand (for a minimum of no less than 24 months)
- the ability to pass a pre-employment drug test, medical assessment and physical readiness assessment, and have the declaring of any convictions and/or conflicts of interest approved by us in accordance with our Corrections delegations policy
Experience as an adult educator or NZQA Assessor (4098) is preferred. The hours of work will be on a rostered shift basis of 80 hours per fortnight. Public Holidays with the possibility of some overtime or call-outs may be required.
All candidates are required to complete a full disclosure criminal history check. Please note - the Criminal History Check is Exempt from The Clean Slate Act. In other words, the Clean Slate Act does not apply to this position. Please declare any and all offences (even those outside 7 years) in your application.
Instructors have the same classification as Corrections Officers and, as such, complete the same initial training courses. This will involve on-site training as well as residential training at our National Learning Centre in Upper Hutt, Wellington, to focus on the custodial elements of the position.
Utu ā-tau | Salary
The mid point of the salary range is $70,376 and the full range (85%-120%) is $62,017 - $77,341. Appointment and remuneration will reflect skills and experience relevant to the role.
Ko wai mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://arapoutama.nz/hokairangi).
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz
Applications close 3rd April 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Location:||Hawkes Bay (Te Matau a Maui)|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||Instructor Description.pdf (PDF, 36KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.