Marine Geospatial Data Analyst at Land Information New Zealand, Waikato
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Want to improve access, understanding and reuse of important marine data?
- Are you looking for an opportunity to utilise your IT skills & expertise on technical challenges?
- Do you want to work on an ambitious programme of work to make a genuine difference for the NZ Hydrographic Authority, Toitū Te Whenua and our customers and stakeholders?
- Do you enjoy working in a collaborative, inclusive work environment with flexible working options?
Te Tākinatanga - Our Story
Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) is the Government's lead agency for location and property information, Crown land and managing overseas investment.
Land, sea and waterways are taonga that connect us all. Our expertise and information help develop and protect these environments for the benefit of all New Zealanders, our visitors and future generations.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
The Marine Geospatial Data Analyst role sits within The New Zealand Hydrographic Authority (NZHA), within Location Information at Toitū Te Whenua. We are responsible for the provision of navigational safety information under international Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) conventions. We also collect, manage and share marine geospatial information to support New Zealand's wider blue economy.
You will contribute to improving access and reuse of NZ's marine geospatial information by providing technical expertise to promote the value of marine geospatial information. The Marine Geospatial Data Analyst develops and innovates on business improvement projects.
You ensure our hydrographic and marine geospatial data is made available, discoverable and usable to key stakeholders and also assist with the operations of the IT systems that support the NZHA.
This is a fixed term position through to the end of June 2022.
He pūkenga tou - Skills & Experience:
- A relevant tertiary qualification in Cartography, Geography or Geospatial Sciences (a post graduate qualification would be an advantage); or industry experience in a related field (10 years approx.)
- Proficient in marine geospatial data management, analysis and visualisation, including complex and specialist work
- Knowledge and demonstrated practical application of GIS theory
- Proven understanding and experience in updating GIS data
- Proven ability to visually interpret data
- Proficient in a range of GIS tools including QGIS and recent experience in Caris Applications
- Experience in supporting IT systems; software installs and testing
- Awareness of emerging technologies in ICT
- Experience with scripting languages (especially Python or SQL)
- Experience leading and managing IT related projects would be an advantage
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
Tono mai - How to Apply
To apply, please click “Apply Online.” You'll be taken through to our Toitū Te Whenua Careers Centre where you'll be able to review further information about the responsibilities and accountabilities of this role in the Position Description. You'll be able to complete your online application form and upload a copy of your CV/Cover Letter.
Applications close 28th November 2021.
If you have any questions about this role or working at Toitū Te Whenua, please email email@example.com and our Recruitment Team will be in touch with you.
As an organisation Toitū Te Whenua embraces diversity, encourages work life balance and we have a flexible approach to the way we work which means you will quickly feel connected and valued. Toitū Te Whenua is one of the most engaged organisations in the public sector and people always say what a great place Toitū Te Whenua is to work.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Land Information New Zealand|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Category:||Science and Environment|
|Attachment:||Marine Geospatial Data Analyst PD Nov 2021.docx (Word, 671KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.