General Manager Tourism at Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Salary Range: $218,000 - $272,000
- Lead the tourism policy and strategy implementation to optimise the contribution that tourism makes to our Economy
- Lead the recovery of tourism in Aotearoa New Zealand, post covid, by designing a model for sustainable, regenerative tourism
- Create a sense of vision that engages and motivates people to participate and make things happen.
Tēnei tūranga - About the role:
The General Manager | Tourism leads our Tourism Branch within Labour, Science and Enterprise (LSE). The role is responsible for setting strategy, driving activity, allocating resources, cross-Ministry co-ordination and results to maximise the contribution that the tourism branch makes to MBIE outcomes and government goals
The role leads the team's policy domain, by overseeing the provision of sound policy advice, applying judgement' including identifying risks and opportunities
This is your opportunity to take the lead in Tourism. With our borders closed to international visitors there's an opportunity to address some of the systemic challenges arising from high visitor growth in the past, support our communities most impacted by the lack of international visitors and plan to reconnect to the world again when the time is right.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
- Tackle some of the longstanding challenges for sustainable, regenerative tourism in New Zealand.
- Work across a broad range of processes related to the operations of the public sector and government.
- Lead, with ease, complex policy programmes over a range of specialist areas taking into account both strategic and operational needs, including the design and delivery of performance monitoring systems.
- Lead a dedicated branch focussed on building tourism back better.
- Support and develop diverse teams and different specialisations
Nga pukenga me nga wheako e hiahiatia ana | Skills + experience:
- Background in organisational and management practice
- Knowledge of parliamentary-select committee processes
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with Ministers
- Demonstrated ability to provide quality policy advice that sits within the broader context to actively support and contribute to the achievement of MBIE's outcomes + deliverables
- Engaging and supportive people leadership skills
Mo te kapa | About the team:
The Tourism branch is responsible for a range of Policy, Operational-Policy, Operational and Event functions. Prior to COVID-19, tourism was New Zealand's largest industry and biggest export earner, accounting for 6% of GDP, and 8% of employment. Most regions of New Zealand regarded tourism as part of their economic lifeblood.
Significant challenges are emerging as the sector recovers and rebuilds as New Zealand reconnects with the world. The General Manager | Tourism will play a crucial role in leading recovery for the tourism industry.
Developing our leaders is a key focus for MBIE. We aim to create a culture where leaders are empowered to bring fresh perspectives to issues and to think outside the box. MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing experience across a broad variety of areas. We encourage excellence and proactively support professional development.
Ētahi kōrero mō MBIE: - About MBIE:
MBIE's goal is to create a resilient and high-performing economy that delivers real and ongoing quality of life for all New Zealanders.
We do this by working with others to create an environment that supports businesses to be more productive and internationally competitive, enables all New Zealanders to participate in the economy through improved job opportunities and by working to ensure quality housing is more affordable.
People are at the heart of our mahi, we are committed to creating a safe, trusting, inclusive workplace where our people can thrive. Our way of working is guided by our values which shape our behaviours.
- Mahi Tahi – Better Together
- Māia – Bold and brave
- Pae Kahurangi – Build our Future
- Pono me te Tika – Own It
Our aspirations are echoed in our Māori identity – Hīkina Whakatutuki – which broadly means ‘lifting to make successful'.
MBIE recognises the partnership founded under Te Tiriti o Waitangi between Māori and the Crown and is committed to giving effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi. We will do this through enduring, meaningful and effective partnerships with iwi, Māori, other Māori groups/organisations and the Crown, as this is critical to enable economic and social development, both for Māori and for wider Aotearoa New Zealand. We are committed to continuing to partner with iwi in order to find new sustainable solutions to address long standing systemic and cross-cutting issues facing Māori and wider Aotearoa New Zealand and we are also committed to identifying opportunities for iwi to lead and creating an enabling environment for iwi to leverage these opportunities.
E mōhio ana a Hīkina Whakatutuki i puea ake te kōtuinga iwaenganui i a ngāi Māori me te Karauna i Te Tiriti o Waitangi, ā, kei te whai ia ki te whakaū ake i Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Mā te whai kiko o ngā kōtuinga ahungaroa o ngāiwi, o ngāi Māori, me ētahi atu rōpū Māori ki te Karauna, katutuki tēnei. He āhuatanga nui tēnei e āhei ai ngā mahi whanaketanga ā-ohanga, ā-pāpori hoki ki a ngāi Māori me Aotearoa whānui. E whai tonu ana mātou ki te kōtui atu ki ngā iwi mō te rapu huarahi hou ki te whakaara i ngā kaupapakua roa nei e tāmi ana i a ngāi Māori me Aotearoa whānui, ā, e whai ana hoki ki te tautohu i ngā āheinga kōkiritanga māngā iwi, me te tautoko i ngā iwi kia whai mana ake ai ēneiāheinga
Me pēhea te tono: - How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below to view a position description and complete your application. All applications must be submitted via our online process.
Email Jane Ransfield at Jane.Ransfield@mbie.govt.nz quoting ref MBIE/505 if you have any further questions.
Applications close 5 December 2021
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Boards and Governance|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.