Veterinarian at Ministry for Primary Industries, Whanganui
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Role Type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Waitotara (Whanganui Regional Team)
Salary: $104,394 progressing to $130,492 per annum plus additional benefits. Starting salary is dependent on skills and experience of the successful applicant
Kōreromō te tūranga - About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Verifier to take on this role as a Veterinary Technical Supervisor 1 (VTS1) at Silver Fern Farms Waitotara, 30 minutes from the Whanganui town centre. As a VTS1 you are responsible for planning the required workload & ensuring delivery in a timely manner, developing productive relationships with site Management & Compliance teams and ensuring all regulatory requirements are met. This role is a sole charge position working Monday to Friday, with some Saturday mornings during the busy season. SFF Waitotara processes Sheep (occasional Goats) & seasonal Bobby calves for all major export markets.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who enjoys problem solving and enhancing their relationships with others via effective communication. The plant has a well-established Compliance & Management team and would be an ideal opportunity anyone wanting to step up into a VTS1 role.
The role is varied, and you will be expected to do the following:
- Collaborate well with internal and external stakeholders, such as meat works personnel, Veterinary colleagues/team
- Verify that requirements and procedures are being followed
- Provide certification for animal meat exports, ensuring that official assurances issued for export products are valid and withstand third party reviews through audit and verification of the operators and their processes using optimising operator ownership (triple o) principles
- Complete ante mortem inspections and occasionally provide judgement on post-mortem inspection
- Maintain knowledge within the farming communities and be involved in on farm verification
- Ensure animal welfare is being maintained
- Manage your own workload:
- You will need to recognise workloads and ensure that tasks are completed accurately and in a timely manner
- You will ensure efficient use of resources and hours
- You will also need to be able to work successfully with & support the regional MPI team, as well as the wider MPI team such as the technical team and other external stakeholders such as farmers
- You will need to work with operator personnel of different levels from plant manager to frontline staff and will be able to tailor your communication with them effectively
- Attend and facilitate internal, external and market access reviews. Demonstrate the process to these reviewers and facilitate, in conjunction with the operator and MPI, resolution of any review findings
If required you will receive six to eight weeks of full-time technical training prior to being warranted under the relevant legislation.
We have ongoing, on-site training, mentoring and technical support for you in your new role.
Mō te peka - About the Branch
Reporting to the Team Manager Establishment Whanganui the role is based at Silver Fern Farms Waitotara (ME102)
This plant operates on a single shift, for sheep & lamb, with some Saturdays during peak season (which would be overtime rates). They generally have routine seasonal shutdowns for maintenance.
Waitotara processes seasonal bobby calves in the spring months (mid-July – October approximately) and for limited processing days in Autumn.
The Whanganui Establishment region extends from Whanganui to Taranaki and encompasses 7 premises. There is a mixture of large corporate premises & smaller sole charge shed's, with a very supportive network of other VTS's.
Whanganui is New Zealand's largest town, with a wonderful climate & relatively affordable housing. It has great schools and local amenities, with thriving Arts & Sporting scenes. There is the river & beaches on your doorstep, with it also being an easy commute to New Plymouth (2hrs), Taupo (3hrs), Mt Ruapehu (1.45hrs), Palmerston North (1hr) & Wellington (3hrs).
Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako – Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will:
- Be a New Zealand registered Veterinarian (or be able to obtain registration with VCNZ)
- Have verbal and written skills, and analytical reasoning skills
- Demonstrate integrity and trust, ethics and values, resilience, adaptability, and openness
- Have experience persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising
- Have computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g. word-processing, excel, internet, email
- Experience with people management and having a creative approach to resolving issues
- Experience of demonstrating resilience and working under pressure and managing stakeholder relationships
- Persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising
- It is advantageous if you have knowledge of HACCP/Quality Assurance in Food Safety however, this can be included in your training
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Three additional (MPI holidays) leave days, sick leave, shift leave, long service leave plus the NZ standard annual leave requirements of 4 weeks
- Structured working week where you get paid overtime after working 40 hours and unsociable hours compensation, such as night shift allowance and penal rates if applicable
- You'll be given the opportunity to further develop technical and leadership skills with a comprehensive in-service training which includes interpersonal and communication skills, as these are critical aspects in this position.
- Wellness benefit for employees including reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme (counselling support)
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online career's portal.
The closing date is 24th May 2022
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Attachment:||Veterinary Technical Supervisor 1 Establishment.docx (Word, 361KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.