Veterinarian at Ministry for Primary Industries, Palmerston North
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Role Type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Palmerston North
Salary: $104,863 per annum plus benefits. Starting salary will be dependent on the successful applicants' skills and experience, this can be progressing from $83,890. In addition to salary, we offer overtime and shift allowances
Kōreromō te tūranga - About the Role
The purpose of this role within Verification Services is to provide a range of food safety and biosecurity verification and certification services based at meat exporting plant to support market access for the product produced and ensure standards are being followed by the plant.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone who enjoys problem solving and enhancing their relationships with others with effective communication.
The role is varied, and you will be expected to do the following
- Collaborate well with internal and external stakeholders, such as meat works personnel, Veterinary colleagues/team
- Complete ante mortem inspections and occasionally provide judgement on post-mortem inspection
- Maintain knowledge within the farming communities and be involved in on farm verification!
- Provide certification for animal meat exports
- Check regulations are being followed to ensure animal welfare is being maintained
- Provide verification of the operators RMP and associated procedures
You will receive six to eight weeks of full-time technical training prior to being warranted under the relevant legislation.
We have ongoing, on-site training, mentoring and technical support for you in your new role.
Mō te peka - About the Branch
Reporting to the Team Manager Establishment Palmerston North the role is based at ME134 premise in Dannevirke
This plant operates year-round on 2 shifts. You will be working regular Night shift finishing at 2-3 a.m with a regular scheduled change to the day shift.
There will be some overtime and the night shift attracts shift allowances and the payment of penal time. Dannevirke is a small rural town but has all expected facilities, it is within driving distance form Palmerston north the driving time will be decreased when the new road over the hills is completed. The premises are a modern meat processing premises with a friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Live the rural life or live in Palmerston North to have a city life!
Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako – Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will:
- Be a New Zealand registered Veterinarian (Or be able to obtain registration with VCNZ)
- Have verbal and written skills, and analytical reasoning skills
- Demonstrate integrity and trust, ethics and values, resilience, adaptability, and openness
- Have experience persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising
- Have computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g., word-processing, excel, internet, email
- It is advantageous if you have knowledge of HACCP/Quality Assurance in Food Safety however, this is included in your training.
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Three additional (MPI holidays) leave days, sick leave, shift leave, long service leave plus the NZ standard annual leave requirements of 4 weeks
- Structured working week where you get paid overtime after working 40 hours and unsociable hours compensation, such as night shift allowance and penal rates if applicable.
- Wellness benefit for employees including reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
- This is a gateway to a wider career path within the Ministry for Primary Industries. This is a great entry point opportunity into a dynamic and forward-thinking organisation that wants you to achieve your potential.
- You'll be given the opportunity to further develop technical and leadership skills with a comprehensive in-service training which includes interpersonal and communication skills, as these are critical aspects in this position.
- Employee Assistance Programme (counselling support)
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online career's portal.
The closing date is 03rd February 2022
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Primary industry, trade & manufacturing|
|Attachment:||Veterinary Technical Supervisor 2 Establishment.docx (Word, 362KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.