Manager Strategic Treaty Policy and Treaty Capability at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Manager Strategic Treaty Policy and Treaty Capability
- Provide Branch-wide intellectual leadership in responding to Māori primary sector policy issues and lead strategic direction in implementing the Māori primary sector strategy as we align with Māori economic development initiatives
- The salary for this role is $150,287 to $203,330, appointments are based on skills, capability and experience.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries is focused on ensuring New Zealand is the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world.
Kua aro pū atu a te Manatū Ahu Matua kia mātua whakarite a Aotearoa hei puna ora, hei puna matua mō ngā hua nui te wāriu nō te ao tūturu ki te ao whānui.
To achieve this, we're working to promote an adaptive and environmentally responsible primary sector, grow prosperity through insight and innovation, and continuously increase our capability to protect New Zealand from biological risks.
Ki te whakatinana i tēnei kōrero, kei te whakatairanga mātou i tētahi ahu matua e urutau ana, e tiaki ana hoki i te taiao, ka whakatupu i te tōnuitanga mā te mātauranga, mā te auaha hoki, ā, ka whakapikihia tonutia tō mātou kaha ki te kaupare a Aotearoa i ngā pōraru koiora.
The Policy & Trade Branch provides strategic thinking, policy advice and analysis, negotiates market access arrangements and oversees international government-to-government relationships, to maximise export opportunities across New Zealand's primary sector and inform decisions.
Mā Kaupapa Here, Kaupapa Hoko e whakarato i te whakaaro rauhanga, i te tohutohu me te tātaritanga kaupapa here, ka whitiwhiti kōrero mō ngā whakaritenga uru mākete, ā, ka whakahaere hoki i te whiringa o te taura tangata i waenga i tō tātou kāwanatanga me ngā kāwanatanga o whenua kē, ā, ka whakamōrahia ngā āheitanga hokonga ki tai puta noa i te ahu matua o Aotearoa me te whakaatuatu i ngā whakataunga.
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About our team
The Strategic Treaty Policy and Treaty Capability team is a newly appointed team that has been created to advise and support MPI's policy direction arising from Treaty partnership for the long term benefits of Aotearoa.
He tira hou te Tira Kaupapa Here Rautaki Tiriti me te Āheinga Tiriti kātahi anō kia kopoua, kia hangaia ki te tohu atu, ki te tautoko hoki i te aronga kaupapa here o MPI i puta mai i te pātuitanga Tiriti kia riro ai ngā hua mau roa ki Aotearoa.
The team will lead large strategic initiatives across the Policy and Trade Branch, and the organisation that will impact a wide range of internal stakeholders and māori primary sector stakeholders.
Mā te tira nei ngā kaupapa rauhanga puta noa i Kaupapa Here, Kaupapa Hoko, tae atu ki te tōpūtanga katoa e ārahi, ka whai pānga ki te rangiwhāwhātanga o te hunga whaipānga o ngā whaipānga hoki nō te Ahu Matua Māori.
This team will provide Branch-wide intellectual leadership in responding to Māori primary sector policy issues and lead strategic direction in implementation of the strategic plan as we align with Māori economic development initiatives.
Ka noho ko te tīma te matakīrea mātauranga e urupare atu ki kā take kaupapa here ahu matua Māori, ka arataki hoki i te arunga rauhanga i te whakatinanatanga o te mahere rautaki i tā mātou whakakōtahi atu ki ngā kaupapa o te whanaketanga ōhanga Māori.
A key role of the team is to build the treaty capability in relation to policy advice within the branch. This will lift the competency of analysts across a broad range of subjects and will provide a great benefit to our overall quality of policy advice.
Ko tētahi o ngā mahi matua o te tira nei ko te whakapiki i te mātauranga mō te Tiriti e hāngai ana ki te tuku tohutohu kaupapa here ki roto i tōna peka ake. Mā reira ka whakapiki te kaha o ngā kaitātari katoa e hāngai ana ki te tini o ngā kaupapa, a ka whai hua nui mātou i te kounga o ā mātou tohutohu kaupapa here.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
As a key leader reporting to the Director of Strategy and Insights you will not only provide day to day management of the team but also be accountable for the three unique and key functions the team will deliver. These functions are:
Hei kaiārahi matua ka noho koe ki raro i te Kaihautū - Rautaki, Māramatanga, ko tāu ko te whakahaerenga o te tīma, ā, ka kawe hoki i ngā mahi ahurei, i ngā mahi matua e toru hei whāinga matua mō te tīma
Strategy: Develop and maintain a coherent targeted strategy to enable Māori economic growth in the primary sector. To lead Policy and Trade ‘s development of a strategic plan around engagement with our treaty partners in the primary industries sectors. You will ensure our engagements are profound, dynamic, promote our strategy and ensure the rich advice provided by our treaty partners is visible in the delivery of the policy work programme and outcomes of the organisation.
Rautaki: Whakaritea, ā, tiakina tētahi rautaki hāngai whai tikanga kia whakamana ai te whakatupuranga ohanga Māori ki te ahu matua. Aratakina te whakatakotoranga o te mahere rautaki o Kaupapa Here, Kaupapa Hoko mō te whakaanga atu ki te iwi Māori, ki ngā hoa tiriti ki roto i ngā mahi a te ahu matua. Māu aua whakaanga e whakahōhonu, e whakahihiri, ā, e whakatairanga atu ana tā mātou rautaki hoki. Māu anō hoki te mana o ngā tohutohu haumako i whakauruhia atu e ngā iwi Māori, e ngā hoa tiriti e whakakanohi ki roto i ngā whakahaerenga o te hōtaka mahi kaupapa here, me ngā hua whāinga o te tōpūtanga nei.
Responsiveness and Support: Respond to priority internal and external Treaty and Māori relevant policy requests, and support the Office of the Tumuaki Tuarua to carry out their duties with confidence, by providing sound advice that results in positive decisions to elevate and grow the Māori Primary Sector.
Te Uruparenga me te Tautoko: Me urupare ngā tono kaupapa here ā-roto, ā-waho hoki e hāngai ana ki te Tiriti, ki ngā take Māori, ā, me tautoko te Tari o te Tumuaki Tuarua ki te whakapiki i tōna māia ki te whakatutuki i āna mahi mā te rato tohutohu i hua mai ai i ngā whakatau ngākaupai ki te whakatupu, ki te whakarea i te Ahu Matua Māori.
Capability: to develop and increase the treaty capability and knowledge within the policy and trade branch by creating frameworks, tools and advice to allow all people to access and engage with our treaty partners confidently and appropriately
Āheitanga: Mā te waihanga anga, te whakarite taputapu, te tuku hoki i te tohutohu koe e whakawhanake, e hāpai ngā āheinga me te māramatanga ki te Tiriti ki roto i te peka Kaupapa Here, Kaupapa Hoko kia māia ai, kia tika ai te uru atu, te whakaanga atu hoki o ngā tāngata katoa ki ngā iwi Māori, ki ō mātou hoa Tiriti hoki.
Ko te tangata mo tēnei tūranga? – Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a talented manager with strong strategic policy abilities, a focus on delivery, and sense of political landscape.
- Proven experience in managing and developing staff
- A proven track record of supporting the implementation of Māori development in an organisation and successfully implementing capability shifts in line with the organisation's vision
- Good understanding of Te Ao Māori from employment experience or study.
- Strong understanding of management policies relating to the Treaty Principles and the Crown's obligations to Māori under Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Excellent understanding of the machinery of government, including experience within government or related organisations
- Expertise in providing policy advice to Senior Leadership Teams, Ministers and stakeholders
- Skilled stakeholder engagement and ability to relate with a wide range of people
- Experience in managing administration, finances, personnel, planning and other basic functions
- Experience in analysing technical issues and making business decisions with financial impact
- Appreciation of the Ministry's business environment, its strategic priorities, strengths and weaknesses
- Proven experience in developing and delivering strategies and plans involving groups with multiple, and at times competing, interests
Kei te rapu mātou i tētahi kaiwhakahaere pūmanawa, he āheinga kaha ōna ki te mahi kaupapa here, he aronga tahitanga ōna ki te whakatutuki i āna mahi, me he mātau ia ki te āhua o te ao tōrangapū.
- He wheako kua tohua i tana whakahaere, i tana whakawhanake hoki i āna kaimahi
- He whakatutukinga kua tohua o tana tautoko ki te whanaketanga Māori ki roto i tētahi tōpūtanga, ā, e angitu ana hoki ia i te whakapikinga pūkenga e hāngai ana ki ngā whāinga o taua tōpūtanga.
- Te māramatanga tino pai ki te Te Ao Māori, nā ōna wheako mahi, nā te akoako rānei.
- Te mātauranga e kaha ana ki ngā kaupapa here whakahaere e hāngai ana ki ngā Mātāpono o te Tiriti me ngā kawenga Tiriti o Waitangi o te Karauna.
- Te mōhiotanga matua mō ngā nekenekehanga o te Kāwanatanga, tae noa atu ki te wheako kāwana, ki te wheako rānei nō tētahi tōpūtanga hāngai.
- Te mākohakoha ki te whakarato tohutohu kaupapa here ki ngā Kāhui Whakahaere Matua, ki ngā Minita Paremata, ā, ki te hunga whaipānga hoki.
- Te pūkenga whakaanga whaipānga me te āheitanga tui i te taura tangata ahakoa ko wai te tangata.
- Te wheako whakahaere i ngā whakaritenga, i ngā tahua, i ngā kaimahi, i te whakatakoto mahere me ērā atu mahi matua o te whakahaere tari.
- Te wheako tātari i ngā take pūhanga hiapo me te whakatau i ngā whakataunga ahumahi tahua.
- Te mōhiotanga mō te whaitua ahumahi o te Manatū nei, āna whāinga rauhanga, ōna whirikoka, me ōna hāoreore
- He wheako kua tohua ki te whakarite, me te whakatutuki i ngā rautaki me ngā mahere me he hunga whaipānga matatini, e tukituki ana hoki i ētahi wā.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to apply?
Our work stretches all the way from the Beehive, across farms, to the border. If you want a career in a supportive and hard-working team where you help to grow and protect New Zealand in a very real way then this is it. MPI has a focus on career pathways so this is the first step in your career with us and we will help you grow.
To view the position description and apply for the role, please click on “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Claire Hogan Senior Talent Acquisition Adviser on 04 894 0094 or Claire.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close: 3rd December
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||Manager Strategic Treaty Policy Treaty Capability (1).pdf (PDF, 249KB)
Manager Strategic Treaty Policy & Treaty Capability (1).docx (Word, 112KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.