Team Leader Tools and Data Sets (SI) at Ministry for Primary Industries, National
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Contract: Permanent - Fulltime
Location: Wellington - other locations maybe considered
Salary Band: $109,626 - $148,318 depending on skills and experience
- Establish a new team managing spatial datasets and tools
- Lead a team a small team of Spatial Intelligence Analysts and Support Officer that will support and maintain the tools and datasets required by the Spatial Intelligence function
- Ensure that there is ongoing improvement of the datasets to support the accuracy, effectiveness and efficiency of operations
- Join us at the forefront of the Government's Primary Industry ambitions
- Work within a Centre of Excellence team of Spatial Intelligence specialists
About the Role | Kōrero mō te tūranga
In the role as Team Leader Spatial Intelligence, Tools and Datasets you will be responsible for leading a small team that will support the Spatial Intelligence team and the wider business unit to provide access to core spatial data, manage the key datasets to ensure they are current and accessible and provide strategic advice on spatial matters. In addition, support will be provided to Spatial Intelligence-related project teams on solution designs and technical issues.
You will be expected to provide all aspects of leadership and management to the team including performance management, supporting team engagement, and ensuring the on-going capability of the team is maintained by providing development opportunities and managing individual performance.
The key responsibilities for the role are:
- Develop the use of spatial data and analysis as an enabling technology for the Ministry with a strong service-provision focus for both internal and external customers.
- Ensure that there are fit for purpose practices to manage the key datasets including standards, governance and security.
- Ensure that the spatial toolsets have an agree roadmap to maintain their functionality to support business operations
- Be a technical expert in the analysis, presentation, and storage of spatial data for Ministry related activities.
- Manage the contracts for the supply of spatial imagery to support business processes.
- Support the administration of the workflow activity tool and supply of datasets to key users and provide performance reporting for the Spatial Intelligence team.
- Have an uncompromising passion for continuous improvement to increase effectiveness and efficiency of the team's way of working
- Champion collaborative working relationships amongst Spatial Intelligence team members, the Business, Technology, Information and Systems Group, relevant internal and external stakeholders, and other groups (government and private sector)
- Represent the Spatial Intelligence team in internal and external working groups as required.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership skills whilst executing work programmes and will have a proven track record of delivery. You will have the ability to embed standards, procedures, and processes and to exhibit strong relationship management and negotiation skills. You will strive to connect, collaborate, and be curious to take the service delivery of the team to the next level. You will be comfortable working within a regulated and sometimes ambiguous environment.
To deliver in this role you will also offer:
- Experience managing relationships and consultation with an assortment of stakeholders along with managing internally focussed relationships.
- Experience with the ArcGIS toolset and in particular be able to demonstrate strong technical background in the production of maps using various datasets.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated document writing skills such as business cases and project documents.
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About our team
Our team culture is critical to our success. Whilst we are looking for skills, knowledge and experience relevant to the role, we also place high importance on the alignment of your values with ours, your ability to contribute to a high performing team, and the way that you lead yourself or others. It is vital everyone who joins our Spatial Intelligence whanau is an ambassador for our values, so together we can drive the best possible outcomes for our customers.
Forestry is one of our country's most successful primary industries. Te Uru Rākau - New Zealand Forest Service a branch within the Ministry for Primary Industries, builds on this success to create a sustainable and innovative forestry sector that continues to grow and adapt. Join our dynamic and diverse Te Uru Rākau - New Zealand Forest Serviceteam who all share the common goal of improving the social, environmental and economic outcomes for New Zealand.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries is helping to seize export opportunities for our primary industries, improve sector productivity, ensure the food we produce is safe, increase sustainable resource use, and protect New Zealand from biological risk.
MPI has a focus on career pathways and we will work with you to help you grow.
To see the benefits of working at MPI, please click here
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to apply
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do, please click here
If you want a career where you help to grow and protect New Zealand in a very real way then this could be it. Our team is collegial, supportive and hard working. MPI has a focus on career pathways so take this step in your career with us and we will help you develop.
To view the position descriptions and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click on “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
For internal candidates please ensure your current manager is aware of your application.
Applications close: Midnight, Monday 24 January 2021
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Tamzyn Luafalealo, Senior Talent Acquisition Adviser Tamzyn.Luafalealo@mpi.govt.nz
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Science and Environment|
|Attachment:||Team Leader Spatial Intelligence (Tools & Datasets).docx (Word, 72KB)
Team Leader Spatial Intelligence (Tools & Datasets).docx (Word, 72KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.