Senior Policy Analyst at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Senior Policy Analyst
Salary range $75,758 to $124,570, appointments are made based on skills, experience and capability.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
MPI has a strength of common purpose and a passion to sustainably grow and protect Aotearoa, for the benefit of all New Zealanders. It's no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About our team
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Policy Analyst to join our Policy and Performance team in MPI's Cost Recovery directorate.
MPI provides a wide variety of services that range from biosecurity clearance at the border to vet checks on farms. These services help to protect New Zealand from biological risks, ensure our food is safe to consume and export, and help to ensure the sustainability of our natural resources. These outcomes allow our primary sector to grow the value of its exports, which currently generate over $46 billion per annum.
These services require on-going funding to remain effective. Cost recovery is a fundamental pillar of the funding system, generating approximately 30% of MPI's departmental funding annually (approximately $150 million in 2020/21).
The Policy and Performance team investigates, analyses and designs cost recovery policy settings that ensure MPI is able to establish new and maintain existing cost recovery systems. The diverse nature of MPI and its activities keeps the work highly varied and interesting.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
The purpose of this role is to lead and contribute to key cost recovery policy work streams, including establishing new recovery frameworks, periodic reviews of established recovery settings, and identifying and addressing areas in the recovery framework in need of improvement. To do this, you will work closely with policy and operational teams across the breadth of MPI to:
- foster close working relationships;
- build the agency's collective understanding of our charging practices; and
- develop your own understanding of the diverse work, activities and services MPI delivers.
As part of the role, you'll also engage:
- in workstreams across government on a regular basis; and
- industry and stakeholders to maintain trusted working relationships to ensure our policy design and settings are fit for purpose.
Key responsibilities will be to:
- Develop effective partnerships with subject matter experts and other policy teams across the business to ensure that funding arrangements are appropriately considered in regulatory reform or service design activities.
- Lead and contribute to key policy work streams to implement new regulatory and legislative cost recovery frameworks.
- Work with operational business groups on an on-going basis to identify opportunities for policy and process improvements, and progress these as appropriate.
- Work with other government agencies (including central agencies) to understand and maintain a view of best practice approaches to cost recovery.
- Provide leadership on cost recovery issues across the business and for the Policy and Performance team.
The position will be permanent full time and is based in Wellington.
Mōu - About you
We are looking for an experienced Senior Policy Analyst. The successful candidate will be proactive, have sound judgement, a strong track record of delivery, and experience building and maintaining relationships with a variety of different people from different backgrounds. As this is a fast-paced role, you must have the ability to manage multiple changing priorities and thrive under pressure. You will have both a strategic focus and an eye for detail.
You will need the following skills and experience to be a successful candidate:
- A strong understanding of the machinery of government, the Crown's obligations to Māori, and the role and work of the Ministry
- Strategic and cross-Government policy development, including experience leading and contributing to legislative or regulation change
- Building and maintaining effective relationships across a range of groups and individuals with potentially conflicting interests
- A strong track record of successful delivery on projects and programmes of work
- Well-developed analytical skills
- Experience of providing advice to senior leadership on complex issues
- Experience in identifying cost effective solutions to business risks
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The successful applicant must be able to obtain the relevant security clearance. Please visit http://www.mpi.govt.nz/about-mpi/careers/apply/security-clearance for more information.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Claire Hogan at Claire.firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date is on Sunday 30th January at 5pm
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||Senior Policy Analyst_CR_Job description_January 2022.docx (Word, 101KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.