Senior Adviser Food Assurance at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Senior Adviser Food Assurance
Role Type: Permanent
Salary: The starting salary will be between $77,652 and $91,355 depending on skills and experience
Ma tau rourou, ma taku rourou, ka ora te iwi (with your contribution and my contribution the people will prosper)
- Would you like to be part of a team that ensures that our trading partners can have trust and confidence in New Zealand's animal products and food exports?
- Do you have experience responding to Official Information Act requests and Ministerials?
- Would you like to work on developing requirements to achieve the best outcomes for NZ exporters?
- Can you think outside the square?
- Are you familiar with halal food processes or have an interest here?
If this sounds like you and you are up to a challenge, keep on reading!
About the Role - Kōrero mō te tūranga
- The Food and Live Animal Assurance Team is responsible for maintaining the integrity of our official assurance programme for animal products and New Zealand's reputation as a trusted supplier of safe food. This involves developing assurance systems, updating the current systems, and keeping those higher up informed.
- We are looking for a smart, hardworking, self-starter to support our export-assurance system which ensures that our markets can have trust and confidence in New Zealand's animal products.
- We need someone who has the integrity, knowledge and self-confidence to deal with development and updating of regulations in a professional manner to ensure that New Zealand's reputation is protected, while facilitating the best outcomes for exporting businesses.
- You will be working closely with Approved Halal Organisations and relevant industry to ensure that New Zealand's has a robust system for halal dairy and meat exports.
- You will be expected to take the lead on Ministerial correspondence and work across the organisation as well as with colleagues in other government departments like MFAT and MBIE.
- We never know when problems are going to arise or what they will be. There are often multiple problems being dealt with at once, so we need someone who can prioritise and quickly work out what needs to be done – often with limited initial information. They will need to work with other experts and teams within MPI to determine the best way forward.
- The role is challenging, but offers variety, and unique opportunities to develop your knowledge and skills within and across a large and dynamic organisation.
Skills and Experience - Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako
We are looking for a Senior Adviser with the following skills and experience:
- a relevant tertiary qualification (e.g. food technology, microbiology, veterinary or science degree)
- experience flexibility in your approach to new challenges and ideas
- excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- excellent interpersonal skills: persuasive, able to listen to other ideas and the ability to engage others in your ideas
- ability to plan, set priorities and meet deadlines
- computer literacy
- sound judgement
- confidence with building and maintaining stakeholder relationships
- knowledge and understanding of the impact of regulation and be able to assess benefits, risks and costs (including compliance costs) associated with export assurance requirements
- understanding of export systems and market requirements
- knowledge of animal product or food production and processing, and storage and transport system
- 3-5 years relevant technical/professional or government experience
It would be desirable to also have:
- familiarity with the Animal Products Act 1999 and its subordinate legislation
- familiarity with halal food and the principles of Islam
- understanding of official assurances, verification, and certification systems
- experience in using electronic certification systems
About MPI - Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua
The Ministry for Primary Industries is helping to seize export opportunities for our primary industries, improve sector productivity, ensure the food we produce is safe, increase sustainable resource use, and protect New Zealand from biological risk.
We are a large organisation with massive scope from the frontline to policy development and beyond. The complexity and scope of work is incredibly invigorating and rewarding.
To see the benefits of working at MPI, please click here
How to Apply - Me pēhea te tuku tono
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
In order to be considered for this role, applicants must be available to interview within New Zealand or via video conference.
For detailed information on this role please refer to the position description or contact Nancy - Talent Acquisition Adviser via Nancy.Nguyen@mpi.govt.nz
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Science and Environment|
|Attachment:||Senior Adviser Food Assurance PD.pdf (PDF, 281KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.