Team Manager Threat Readiness at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Do you have exceptional organisational skills and a background in emergency management?
- Are you looking for a unique and dynamic leadership opportunity?
- Advance your leadership skills in a dynamic environment with a high performing team.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the Role
The Threat Readiness team will be accountable for the implementation of the programme of readiness work to ensure MPI is ready to response to key identified threats. This work will include, but is not limited to, development of operational plans and processes, response structures, and coordination of readiness efforts across MPI and other Government Agencies. The team is responsible for threat specific information management for response.
Key to this role is people management and leadership, influencing across organisational boundaries, collaboration with a broad range of internal stakeholders, delivery of key projects and programmes. This team is responsible for the delivery of the response capability work programme. You'll have courage, initiative, be innovative and adaptable and will use these attributes to support the ongoing success and development of the team. This is dynamic, stimulating and often ambiguous environment where no two days are the same.
This role is also part of the management team for the Readiness Group.
Some of your core day to day duties will involve the following:
- Leading a team of highly skilled professionals
- Providing coaching and mentoring to team members
- Planning and monitoring of the work programme, cost centre budget and overall progress against milestones and outcomes
- Working closely with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, including primary industries, to ensure that all readiness products, activities and processes developed are user centric and fit for purpose.
- Actively supporting and participating in responses if required.
The Salary Range for this role is C: $109,000 to $127,000 depending on skills, capabilities, and experience.
Mōu - About You
This role will suit a respected and inspiring manager who can provide intellectual and professional leadership. We are looking for someone who is adaptable and thrives in a complex and sometimes ambiguous environment. Our ideal candidate is a team player who is both influential and resourceful, has initiative and a proven ability to deliver results. You will be able to think creatively, work under pressure, and prioritise your work. You will bring a high degree of enthusiasm and energy to the role.
Ideally you will have:
- Experience working in a Government agency (central, regional, or local)
- Experience or working knowledge of emergency management and/or response frameworks and practice.
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline.
- A proven ability to build and lead a collaborative and high performing team, as well as be able to support individuals to reach their full potential
Additionally, you will have:
- Proven experience in either policy, planning, or developing readiness capability in an emergency/incident management context.
- Proven experience in collaborating successfully with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven influencing and negotiation skills with experience in achieving effective outcomes in situation where there are diverging interests or conflicting priorities
- A track record in identifying and capitalising on new opportunities
- Strong written and verbal communication
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About the Team
The Readiness Group focuses on improving MPI's overall readiness in order to respond effectively and includes maintaining generic readiness that supports all systems; including biosecurity, food safety, adverse events, animal welfare and trade.
Readiness and Response Services is a directorate that forms part of the Biosecurity New Zealand Branch and is responsible for bringing together critical capability to effectively prepare and manage responses, and to co-ordinate recovery and long-term management activities, as well as compensation resulting from actions taken to manage biosecurity incursions to those economically impacted. As a directorate we work across biosecurity, food, primary production and trade systems.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
MPI is helping to seize export opportunities for our primary industries, improve sector productivity, ensure the food we produce is safe, increase sustainable resource use, and protect New Zealand from biological risk.
Ahurea - Culture
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We are fair in our behaviour and our policies promote equal opportunity for all. We provide numerous training programmes and opportunities for people to continuously improve their skill sets and keep up to date with global best practices. MPI has a focus on career pathways so this is the first step in your career with us and we will help you grow.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Up to three additional (MPI holidays) leave days
- Benefit from flexible working arrangements
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Workstation assessment
- Free annual flu vaccination
- Bi-annual MPI-paid eye test and contribution to the costs of corrective lenses/frames
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
If you're interested we are open to discussing flexible working options with you. This can take many forms such as (but not limited to) reduced hours, remote working, flexible start and finish times, compressed hours or term-time work. Please feel free to talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you are looking for and we will explore what's possible for the role.
To join a diverse and interesting organisation that offers a wide range of career opportunities click on our link below!
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The closing date is Thursday 7 July 2022.
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Attachment:||Team Manager Threat Readiness JD.docx (Word, 88KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.