Natural Resources Policy at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
The MPI Natural Resources Policy directorate is recruiting for analysts, a senior analyst and a Principal Advisor.
Join our Natural Resources directorate for an opportunity to:
- Work in high-profile environmental policy area that impacts on the well-being of all New Zealanders
- Support and lead on MPI's contribution to the government's ambitious programmes to improve our freshwater, land and climate outcomes
- Work closely with the Ministry for the Environment and multiple stakeholder groups, and be a part of a high performing and fun directorate
Kōrero mō te tūranga | About our directorate
The Natural Resources Policy directorate advises primary sector Ministers on key changes to mitigate agricultural greenhouse gas emissions, improve water quality, support forestry to offset emissions, develop sustainable land use support tools and support the primary sector to adapt to a changing climate. All our advice is informed by policy research, economic analysis, and system design with a strong focus on implementation.
We work across government and in partnership with iwi and Māori land-owners, regions, sectors and communities to empower the primary sector and rural communities to reduce risks and realise opportunities associated with a changing climate (both biophysical and regulatory) and improve kaitiakitanga. We are a dedicated and focused directorate, and we work collaboratively with each other in a collegial and supportive atmosphere.
We are looking for top-notch people as we expand our dedicated and high performing directorate to deliver on ambitious government programmes.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
For a policy analyst, we are looking for:
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to provide clear, accurate, well-reasoned policy advice that is targeted to the audience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to take ownership and action on challenges
- Strong interpersonal skills and the desire to make a positive contribution to the team
For a senior analyst, we are looking for:
- The intellectual capability to analyse complex issues and provide sound advice.
- An experienced policy professional who can think strategically and use evidence to inform your work.
- A superb communicator with influencing skills that will allow you to work collaboratively within MPI, across government and with external stakeholder groups.
- A solid understanding of legislative frameworks and processes.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering high quality advice that meets organisation needs and delivers on long-term goals and objectives
- A willingness to provide intellectual and professional leadership and support to others
- Sound judgement, integrity and discretion.
For a principal adviser, we are looking for:
- critical thinking and analytical skills to solve complex policy problems
- extensive experience leading government policy processes in environments with significant ambiguity
- ability to produce and recognise high quality policy work and provide peer review support and coaching to colleagues,
- strong interpersonal and influencing skills, and
- the ability to work collaboratively across MPI, across government and with external stakeholder groups.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
MPI has a strength of common purpose and a passion to sustainably grow and to protect Aotearoa, for the benefit of all New Zealanders. It's no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world.
MPI has a focus on career pathways and we will work with you to help you grow. To see the benefits of working at MPI, please click here
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click on “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online career's portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
For internal candidates please make sure your current manager is aware of your application.
Applications close: Midnight, Friday 26 August 2022
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Mike McCann, Senior Talent Acquisition Adviser on Michael.McCann@mpi.govt.nz
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst (8) (1).docx (Word, 96KB)
Principal Adviser Policy and Trade JD (1).docx.pdf (PDF, 251KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.