Policy Analyst at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Job Title: Policy Analyst (Greenhouse Gas Reporting, Inventory and Projections)
Role type: Permanent Full-time
Salary range: $68,781 to $93,056 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the Role
You will help to fulfil New Zealand's international climate change reporting commitments, and track progress towards our emission reduction targets.
This role will be responsible for:
- Modelling forestry and agriculture emissions and removals to assist policy development for MPI and other government agencies.
- Engaging with industry, researchers, and government to improve understanding of land use, forestry and agriculture emissions in New Zealand.
- Managing research used to improve the accuracy of our emissions reporting.
- Working with researchers, scientists and industry to improve the accuracy of our emissions reporting.
- Developing capability and building knowledge on GHG emissions within MPI.
Mōu - About You
We are seeking an enthusiastic team member who can help with the following:
- Modelling and technical support for forestry policy development.
- Working with spreadsheets, complex models and statistical programming languages such as R.
- Engaging with industry, researchers, and government to develop research priorities for land use, forestry and agriculture emissions reporting.
- Developing projections of future land use and GHG emissions from agriculture.
- Management of technical content for emissions reporting research.
A relevant degree in mathematics, statistics, physics, ecology, geography, biological sciences, chemistry, agriculture or forestry would be helpful, as would an interest in climate change.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About the Team
The Greenhouse Gas Reporting, Inventory and Projections team at MPI is responsible for reporting New Zealand's past, present, and future greenhouse gas emissions from land use (including forestry) and agriculture.
The agriculture sector is responsible for half of New Zealand's gross emissions, and the forestry sector currently offsets 1/3rd of New Zealand's gross emissions. Because of this the GHG Inventory and projections team plays a major role in the reporting of New Zealand's overall GHG emissions. The information provided by our team is essential for ensuring New Zealand can meet its climate change goals.
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Up to three additional leave days
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday, 2 October 2022.
If you have any questions about the role, please email Nancy Nguyen on Nancy.Nguyen@mpi.govt.nz
Whāia ngā tuhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst JD.docx (Word, 92KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.