Veterinarian at Ministry for Primary Industries, Palmerston North
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Veterinary Technical Supervisor 2 (VTS2) based at Ovation/ Venison Packers in Feilding
Role Type: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: Range from $88,440 progressing to $110,550 per annum plus additional benefits. Starting salary will be dependent on skills and experience of the successful applicant. In addition to salary, we offer overtime and shift allowances.
Kōreromō te tūranga - About the Role
The purpose of this role within New Zealand Food Safety Verification Services is to provide a range of food safety, animal welfare and biosecurity verification and certification services based at meat exporting plants. To support the meat industry and New Zealand's reputation in the world red meat market for the product produced and to ensure food safety and export standards are being followed by the plant.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone who enjoys problem solving and enhancing their relationships with others with effective communication.
The role is varied, and you will be expected to do the following:
- Collaborate well with internal and external stakeholders, such as meat works personnel, Veterinary colleagues/VS team;
- Verify that requirements and procedures are being followed;
- Provide certification for animal meat exports;
- Complete ante mortem inspections and occasionally provide judgement on post-mortem inspection;
- Maintain knowledge within the farming communities and be involved in on farm verification;
- Ensure animal welfare is being maintained.
You will receive six to eight weeks of full-time technical training prior to being warranted under the relevant legislation. We have ongoing, on-site training, mentoring and technical support for you in your new role.
Mō te peka - About the Branch
Reporting to the Team Manager Establishment Palmerston North, the role is based at Ovation Feilding, a meat processing premises in Feilding in the Manawatu. The role sits within the Establishment group of the Verification Services directorate. MPI Verification Services (MPI VS) provides a range of food safety and biosecurity verification and certification services to support market access strategies and setting standards.
We are looking for a VTS2 to join the team based at Ovation/ Venison Packers. You will work closely with the VTS1 and other VTS2 to provide MPI VS services for the multi-species plant processing cattle, lamb and adult sheep as well as goats. The plant runs day and night shift for most of the year and other times works a 7day operation with just one shift allowing for more down time; and you will be rostered onto shifts within a 3-vet team, working a 5x8 pattern. The role rotates between a morning shift and a night shift with the other VTS2. Any overtime is compensated and early starts, or late finishes are recognised with penal time payments, as well as shift leave accumulation.
This role is suitable for newer verifiers to build up their knowledge of a wide variety of plant processing, or those looking to put down roots in a rural town at a substantially compliant plant.
Feilding is a rural support town on the West coast of NZ's North Island, within easy driving distance of the university town of Palmerston North. The town has a great community and is a very pretty town with a farmers market every week. It is in easy distance from West Coast beaches and the Ruahines.
Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako – Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will:
- Be a New Zealand registered Veterinarian (Or be able to obtain registration with VCNZ)
- Have verbal and written skills, and analytical reasoning skills
- Demonstrate integrity and trust, ethics and values, resilience, adaptability, and openness
- Verify that requirements and procedures are being followed
- Have experience persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising
- Have computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g. word-processing, excel, internet, email
It is advantageous if you have knowledge of HACCP/Quality Assurance in Food Safety however, this is included in your training.
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Three additional (MPI holidays) leave days, sick leave, shift leave, long service leave plus the NZ standard annual leave requirements of 4 weeks
- Structured working week where you get paid overtime after working 40 hours and unsociable hours compensation, including shift allowance and penal rates if applicable
- You'll be given the opportunity to further develop technical and leadership skills with a comprehensive in-service training which includes interpersonal and communication skills, as these are critical aspects in this position
- Wellness benefit for employees including reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme (counselling support)
- Membership of the NZVA or appropriate alternative
- Annual payment for the Annual practicing certificate
Watch some of our team describe why they love the role that they are in and their journey into a career with Verification Services – Click Here
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online career's portal.
The closing date is 08 December 2022.
If you have any questions about the role, please email Samantha Eaton – Talent Acquisition Adviser firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.