Director Animal Health & Welfare at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Job Title: Director Animal Health & Welfare
Role type: Permanent
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has an exciting tier three opportunity as Director Animal Health & Welfare as part of the Agricultural and Investment Services (AIS) Leadership Team.
This role has significant responsibility for providing a focal point and being a public face for animal health (including veterinary) and welfare expertise in MPI as well as providing advice to the Deputy Director-General AIS and other senior leaders across MPI. This role will be key in representing New Zealand's interests both domestically and internationally.
The Director is responsible for leading new, responsive and effective ways of developing and implementing regulatory and non-regulatory interventions. We are looking for an individual who can bring a targeted strategic approach that is future focussed.
In this role, it will be important that you have the ability to take an innovative and strategic approach to leadership and thinking across the scope of MPI's veterinary and animal welfare responsibilities. You will be required to provide governance input to and leadership of animal-related issues, including responses to adverse events including biosecurity incursions.
Mōu - About You
To be successful, you will need to demonstrate a wide variety of skills and experience including:
- A veterinary qualification, registerable in New Zealand
- Experience in senior management roles
- People management and leadership (particularly technical staff)
- Knowledge of trade in animals and animal products
- Significant veterinary experience or has established reputation as a veterinary expert.
- Extensive stakeholder management across a range of internal and external stakeholder groups.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in NZ for at least the last ten (10) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last ten (10) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday, 27 November 2022.
If you have any questions about the role, please email email@example.com
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Attachment:||PD Director Animal Health & Welfare.pdf (PDF, 244KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.