Manager Animal Welfare Science Team at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Role type: Permanent, Full Time
Ma tau rourou, ma taku rourou, ka ora te iwi (with your contribution and my contribution the people will prosper)
- Work in a dynamic, high profile area that makes a significant impact on the welfare of animals in New Zealand.
- Lead a team that supports the development of animal welfare standards for Aotearoa New Zealand and supports two Ministerial advisory committees
- Salary indication
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
We are looking for a high performing, people-focussed leader who has experience in managing, leading and building teams and work programmes. You will be working closely with animal sector groups and stakeholders and leading a technical team for standards development. This is one of four teams that report to the manager of the animal welfare team to deliver our animal welfare standards work programme, animal welfare emergency management programme and the Safeguarding our Animals, Safeguarding our Reputation plan.
Mōu - About You
As an experienced manager, you will bring:
- Strong experience in managing, leading and building teams, preferably including remote teams and technical teams
- Demonstrated programme management and organisational skills with ability to think ahead, prioritise and plan accordingly
- Experience with budget management
- In depth knowledge of the machinery of government and New Zealand regulatory environment preferably including the Animal Welfare Act 1999
- Experience in managing relationships and negotiating complex issues with a range of sectors and stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in business analysis, economic analysis, scientific research, or policy development and, consultation
- Good veterinary or relevant science degree, preferably to postgraduate level, and experience with animals in an animal or animal welfare related field.
If you want a career where you are leading a team and have the opportunity to drive a complex and interesting animal welfare work programme, then we would love to hear from you.
You must be able to work in complex, fast-moving environments, and available to travel and work out of hours periodically.
This role is based in Te Whanganui-a-Tara / Wellington with the team based around the country.
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About our team
Our team supports the development of animal welfare standards that meet the expectations of society for the welfare and humane treatment of all animals and contribute to market success and optimum product positioning for New Zealand livestock products. The team also supports two Ministerial advisory committees for animal welfare.
In this role you will be expected to develop and lead collaborative working relationships with Ministerial committee chairs, and across the Agriculture & Investment Services business unit and the wider Ministry to effectively carry out this role.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
Our role includes seizing export opportunities for our food and fibre sector, improving sector productivity, ensuring the food we produce is safe, increasing sustainable resource use, and protecting New Zealand from biological risk.
MPI has a focus on career pathways and we will work with you to help you grow.
To see the benefits of working at MPI, please click here
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 4 December
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Attachment:||Position Description Manager Animal Welfare Science.pdf (PDF, 492KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.