Senior/Data Scientist at Ministry for Primary Industries, National
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Role type: Permanent, Full-Time
Salary range: $100,159 to $135,509 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to join our innovative teams in Biosecurity NZ and progress data science maturity in the organisation. This position will sit across two teams, Biosecurity Intelligence and Joint Border Analytics, who work together to assess biosecurity threats both offshore and at the border.
Team members are based across New Zealand and consist of Intelligence Analysts, Data Scientists and Business Analysts. The Joint Border Analytics team works closely with teams from New Zealand Customs Service and Immigration New Zealand. The location for this role is flexible – if you think you've got the skills we're looking for, let us know.
Your key responsibilities in this role will be sourcing, processing, and analysing data and looking for opportunities to add value with Machine Learning models to assess biosecurity threats and solve intelligence queries. You will also be involved in supporting data science infrastructure development, development of data products, as well as ensuring good data governance.
Mōu - About You
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience as a data scientist in a complex environment
- Experience in data analytics, modelling and app development using a R and Python
- Experience in data visualisation, including tools such as Power BI
- Experience working in a public sector, environmental science or similar environment
- The ability to take colleagues and customers on a data science journey
- Experience delivering within a hybrid Agile environment
- Expert analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Any experience working in AWS Cloud technology for data science and analytics is an advantage but not a requirement.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
Our role includes seizing export opportunities for our food and fibre sector, improving sector productivity, ensuring the food we produce is safe, increasing sustainable resource use, and protecting New Zealand from biological risk.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided continuously in NZ for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five (5) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
In order to be considered for this role, applicants must be available to interview within New Zealand or via Teams.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on 31 January 2023.
If you have any questions about the role, please email email@example.com
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Attachment:||(Senior) Data Scientist Biosecurity Intelligence (BSI) Job Description (4).pdf (PDF, 334KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.