Target Evaluator at Ministry for Primary Industries, Auckland MPI Centre
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Job Title: Target Evaluator
Role type: Permanent
Salary range: $60,331 to $ 81,624 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
As a Target Evaluator you will contribute towards biosecurity and food safety at the border. Being warranted under both the Food Act 2014 and Biosecurity Act 1993 and supportive legislation, you will be working towards competency in both areas. Target evaluators use their specialist knowledge to screen import documentation, apply operational intelligence, and work with internal and external stakeholders. As a target evaluator you have an eye for detail, like working in an office environment, have great communication skills, a passion for biosecurity and food safety and initiative to learn on the job.
Mōu - About You
This is the role for you if you have an interest in the application of intelligence, the primary sector, and the wider environmental, economic, social and political context it operates within. You'll bring comprehensive knowledge of the food clearance process and/or biosecurity operational environment and ideally previous experience in a similar role.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Skills in risk assessment and technical expertise in biosecurity clearances
- A relevant qualifications preferably a science qualification and /or relevant industry experience.
- Interest along with your attention to detail and your enjoyment of working in a fast moving, busy environment where no two days are the same and customer experience is a key focus.
- Practical experience in the food industry, in biosecurity or conservation would be beneficial.
- A great attitude, flexibility and a desire to be part of a team sharing your experience, knowledge, support and work alongside your colleagues.
You do not need to meet all of the role requirements to apply. We offer a breadth of development and learning opportunities and will welcome an application if you think you could make a great fit.
Mō tō mātou Rōpū - About the Team
You'll join a team that is specialized in target evaluation and associated public services. The team's deliverables include:
- Target evaluation
- Applying import health standards
- Food notices
- Servicing public enquiries around cargo imports
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Additional MPI leave days
- Reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
- Comprehensive 3-day MPI Induction Programme
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided continuously in NZ for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five (5) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
If you are successful in this recruitment process you must be able to attend an assessment day (approx. 4 hours) which will include a formal interview and group activities.
If you have any questions about the role, please email Luke.Farrell@mpi.govt.nz
Applications close at midnight on Monday 6th February 2023
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Location:||Auckland MPI Centre|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Science and Environment|
|Attachment:||JD Target Evaluator 2022 DEC (1).docx (Word, 88KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.