Veterinarian (VTS1) at Ministry for Primary Industries, Invercargill
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Veterinarian (VTS1) based at Black Origin Meat Processors
Role Type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Gore, South Island
Salary: Range from $103,069 progressing to $128,836 per annum plus additional benefits.
Starting salary will be dependent on skills and experience of the successful applicant.
In addition to salary, we offer overtime, penal time and shift allowances.
Kōreromō te tūranga - About the Role
MPI Verification Services (MPI VS) provides a range of food safety and biosecurity verification and certification services to support market access strategies and setting standards.
If you are you are a veterinary verifier looking for the next step in your career or an experienced verifier looking to deepen your domain knowledge, we have a newly created vacancy for Supervising Veterinarian (VTS1) based at Black Origin Meat Processors based in Gore.
Black Origin Meat Processors is a single chain plant processing beef currently undergoing an exciting transition from a part domestic/export to a fulltime export processing establishment so this position would be a great opportunity for an experienced verifier with a demonstrated track record of effective technical, communication and stakeholder relationship skills.
Shift patterns will initially be 5x8 hours, with occasional Saturday work. As processing patterns increase and a VTS2 is established on site, this role will move to 4x10 shift patterns.
Within this role you will be expected to:
- Ensure that official assurances issued for export products are valid and withstand third party reviews through audit and verification of the operators and their processes.
- Ensure that operators put into place timely and effective corrective and preventative actions.
- Responsibly manage the workload for the VS team, including;
- Recognising workloads and ensure that tasks are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure efficient use of resources and hours.
- Work successfully with & support the regional MPI team, as well as the wider MPI team such as the technical team and other external stakeholders such as farmers.
- Work with operator personnel of different levels from plant manager to frontline staff and will be able to tailor your communication with them effectively.
- Attend and facilitate internal, external and market access reviews. Demonstrate the process to these reviewers and facilitate, in conjunction with the operator and MPI, resolution of any review findings.
Mō te peka - About the Branch
The premises is located in Gore in the heart of Southland within easy travelling distance of Invercargill, Dunedin, Central Otago, Fiordland and the Catlins.
This position reports to the Team Manager Establishments Invercargill and is currently a sole charge position.
Watch some of our team describe why they love the role that they are in and their journey into a career with Verification Services – Click Here
Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako – Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will:
- Be a New Zealand registered Veterinarian (Or be able to obtain registration with VCNZ)
- Experience as an establishment VTS is preferred, but not essential
- Hold a full New Zealand driver's licence (or be able to obtain a full NZ licence by converting a current overseas driver's licence)
- Have verbal and written skills, and analytical reasoning skills
- Experience of demonstrating resilience and working under pressure and managing stakeholder relationships
- Persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising
- Computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g. word-processing, excel, internet, email, database, secure sites, electronic certification, residues etc
It is advantageous if you have knowledge of HACCP/Quality Assurance in Food Safety however, this is included in your training.
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Membership of the NZVA or alternative
- Annual payment for the Annual practicing certificate
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online career's portal.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 1 October 2023, however suitable applicants will be considered and contacted before this date.
If you have any questions about the role, please email our Talent Acquisition team at Louise.firstname.lastname@example.org
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Category:||Science and Environment|
|Attachment:||Veterinary Technical Supervisor 1 Establishment.pdf (PDF, 333KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.