Team Manager Border Clearance Services at Ministry for Primary Industries, Queenstown
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Job Title: Team Manager Border Clearance Services
Role type: Permanent
Location: Tāhuna (Queenstown)
Salary Range: $113,626 to $152,318 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
In your roles as Team Manager BCS you will manage passenger and cargo border inspection and clearance services in the South Region that contribute to the delivery of biosecurity outcomes.
The management of the South region sites and/or functions include passengers from air or sea or cargo from mail, airfreight, sea freight or transitional facilities.
This role contains both operational and people management responsibilities:
Operational duties include:
- The continuous improvement of operating procedures and agreements by analysing trends that may impact operations
- Building relationships and have sound stakeholder management with relevant industry groups, importers, service providers as well as internal stakeholders within MPI
- Delivering the requirements of the BCS verification and assurance framework for the area of
- Deliver the functions prescribed in the operational plan through direct participation and leadership of designated Border Clearance teams
People Management duties include:
- Leadership of all staff within designated Border Clearance teams by ensuring that robust processes for communication and health & safety are effectively implemented
- Ensuring staff have tools appropriate to do their work, within organisational constraints
- Monitoring competency under the Border Clearance Company Framework and manging the capability of individual performance.
- Visible and engaging leadership that is accountable for BCS deliverables
Mōu - About You
We are looking for an excellent communicator (both written and verbal) who can lead a team of frontline workers effectively. This role requires confidence, accountability, diplomacy and the ability to motivate others by leading from the front.
Excellent managerial skills coupled with critical and strategic thinking are key aspects of this role and our ideal candidate must demonstrate this. You may come from an adjacent government agency or have a successful background in people leadership.
MPI will provide technical biosecurity training to the right applicant who displays the leadership qualities we a looking for.
In addition our ideal candidate will have/or display:
- Tertiary qualifications in relevant discipline(s) and/or relevant experience
- Experience in staff supervision, coaching, managing individual performance and achievenig through others.
- The ability to manage and cultivate strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of budgetary processes and the impacts of financial decision making
- Tact and a high level of negotiation skills
You do not need to meet all of the role requirements to apply. We offer a breadth of development and learning opportunities and will welcome an application if you think you could make a great fit.
Mō tō mātou Rōpū - About the Team
The Border Clearance Services Directorate within the Biosecurity New Zealand branch is accountable for ensuring the delivery of sustainable and effective frontline biosecurity clearance services at the border.
As a Team Manager BCS based in Queenstown, you will have up to 3 direct reports and have a responsibility area of up to 42 staff across the lower south Island. You will use your excellent stakeholder connection skills to effectively communicate to your reports and the Manager South BCS in Christchurch.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Relocation assistance will be considered for the successful applicant
- Additional MPI leave days
- Ability to purchase extra annual leave
- Annual Wellness payment
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a New Zealand citizen, who has resided continuously in New Zealand for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five (5) years: either Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site, here.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whānau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua Ministry for Primary Industries a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Thursday 30th November 2023.
If you have any questions about the role, please email Luke.Farrell@mpi.govt.nz
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Attachment:||Team Manager Border Clearance Services ZQN.pdf (PDF, 302KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.