Manager, Emerging Risks at Ministry for Primary Industries, Wellington City
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Manager, Emerging Risks
Food Compliance and Response Directorate
New Zealand Food Safety
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
The Manager, Emerging Risks will lead a small team to identify, evaluate and communicate new or emerging food safety risks or hazards that arise within New Zealand or a potential risk from overseas.
You will work alongside the Director, Food Compliance & Response and the Principal Adviser for support and guidance when identifying issues. Communicate effectively when a perceived potential Issue has been identified and any agencies that may be directly affected or potentially affected by this risk.
You will need to be experienced in understanding the drivers of food safety hazards, identifying trends and keeping an eye out for signs and indications there is an emerging risk or hazard to public health. Keeping track of these and how they may change and develop to become a significant risk and put a plan in place to overcome or problem solve the issues together with the response teams as needed.
In this role you will need to keep up to date with current trends in the international and domestic market and protirise risks as they emerge. Work collaboratively across external organsiations and internal teams as you may be required to work across multiple work programmes, so relationships with other managers in the drectorate is key.
Mōu - About You
You could be working in the food sector and/or intelligence sector ready to take the next step and develop your leadership skills. We're looking for someone who can demonstrate working collaboratively together across multiple stakeholders.
To be successful in the role you will have:
- Experience in managing stakeholders, internal or external and demostarate success in building relationships and gaining the support and participation of key individuals and groups.
- Experience in gathering, presenting and managing complex information to a range of different audiences, both technical and non-technical.
- Ability to plan, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Demonstarted ability to find common ground and actively solve problems gain trust, support peers and encourage collaboration.
- A tertiary qualification or similar experience, preferably in a relevant field such as strategic foresight, food science, or risk identification, assessment, or management.
- Understanding of the food safety regulatory framework employed in New Zealand.
- Experience that demonstrates knowledge of policies and procedures and understanding of their impact on internal and external stakeholders.
Mō tō mātou Rōpū - About the Team
New Zealand Food Safety (NZFS) ensures that the food that is grown, produced, prepared, shared and consumed across Aotearoa is safe and suitable for everyone.
Thanks to New Zealand's robust food safety system and global assurances, consumers here and overseas can rely on the safety, authenticity, and suitability of our kai – food.
You will work alongside the Food Compliance and Response Leadership team and you will report to the Director Food Compliance and Response and work alongside other managers across MPI depending on the work programmes identified.
We have a close knit team that work collaboratively together and come together from all over the country to celebrate their success and develoments. This role sits in the Wellington office and enjoy eachothers company both inside and outside of work.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Ability to purchase extra annual leave
- Annual Wellness payment
- Reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a New Zealand citizen, who has resided continuously in New Zealand for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five (5) years: either Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whānau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua Ministry for Primary Industries a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Wednesday 29 November 2023
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry for Primary Industries|
|Position type:||Full Time|
|Attachment:||L4 ERS Manager Position Description.docx (Word, 80KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.