Senior Advisor Operational Policy & Practice at Ministry of Social Development, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
The Ministry of Social Development is a people-centred organisation. We're in communities across the motu, working with partners to help New Zealanders be safe, strong and independent.
We provide social policy and advice to government and assistance, including income, employment and housing support to people of all ages, families, whānau and communities.
As a Te Tiriti o Waitangi partner we are committed to supporting and enabling Māori, whānau, hapū, Iwi and communities to realise their own potential and aspirations.
Our people are as diverse as the communities we serve. We care about the wellbeing and success of our people and provide a supportive and inclusive working environment where people can thrive and be who they are.
Senior Advisor Operational Policy & Practice
• Do you want to make a difference to the lives of New Zealanders?
• Do you understand how policy and law changes impact clients across New Zealand?
• Fixed Term, Wellington based
About the Team
The Operational Policy team is part of Service Delivery within the Ministry of Social Development. We provide advice and guidance to teams across New Zealand who work with our clients and external stakeholders. We're also experts in understanding how policy and law changes could impact our people and our clients.
Working in the Operational Policy team will give you the opportunity to influence how we implement new work and improve existing programmes to support our people and our clients.
We have fantastic opportunities for a Senior Advisor to join this high performing team. You'll be part of a diverse, friendly, and supportive team who will help you develop your skills and career.
As a Senior Advisor, you'll be responsible for:
• Scoping, planning and/or leading pieces of work that can range from implementing government policies to improving the consistency and accuracy of service delivery practice, so things are easier for our people and our clients
• Working with our Policy Group to ensure advice for decision makers reflects feasibility and operational design options which can be implemented in a meaningful way for clients
• Designing and implementing operational policies that are in line with legislation and meet the policy intent as well as the service delivery needs of our clients, which includes housing, superannuation, income support and employment needs
• Being the subject matter expert; knowing the questions to ask to inform design for the best possible outcome
• Providing advice to groups across the Ministry on the implementation of new legislation, outcomes from judicial reviews, MSD initiatives and other government projects
• Seamlessly operating across Service Delivery, Policy, and Legal worlds
• Leading significant pieces of work with the ability to support and mentor others
About You - Skills and Experience
The right person will have:
• A curious mind capable of understanding complex issues and researching solutions
• Strong experience implementing both policy and operational change
• Demonstrated ability to interpret legislation, contribute to policy design and lead operational policy design
• Outstanding relationship management skills that create an environment where people with different views can work together to achieve the best possible outcomes
• A sense of humour and enjoy working in a team
MSD is committed to equal opportunity in all our employment policies and procedures. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates – regardless of gender, race, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, religious or ethical beliefs, political opinion, or union affiliation.
How to apply
To apply, click the 'Apply Now' button to upload your CV, cover letter and complete the online application form.
Note: Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the competencies listed in the position description.
All applications must be made online. If this is not possible or if you have any queries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal MSD Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work. This will ensure that your myHR employee profile is visible as internal candidate.
Closing date: 24 January 2022
Joining MSD means being part of a whānau that celebrates the diversity each individual represents. We show manaaki, we care about the wellbeing and success of people and want everyone to thrive, and be who they are in a supportive and inclusive working environment. We work together to make a difference for communities while doing the right thing with integrity. We are a Treaty partner committed to strengthening relationships with Māori, Hapū, Iwi and communities to realise their own potential and aspirations.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so we can assist you through the recruitment process.
MSD has a COVID-19 vaccination policy which requires employees to be fully vaccinated.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Social Development|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||senior-advisor-operational-policy-sep-2020 (1).docx (Word, 715KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.