Developer at Ministry of Social Development, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
The Ministry of Social Development is a people-centred organisation. We're in communities across the motu, working with partners to help New Zealanders be safe, strong and independent.
We provide social policy and advice to government and assistance, including income, employment and housing support to people of all ages, families, whānau and communities.
As a Te Tiriti o Waitangi partner we are committed to supporting and enabling Māori, whānau, hapū, Iwi and communities to realise their own potential and aspirations.
Our people are as diverse as the communities we serve. We care about the wellbeing and success of our people and provide a supportive and inclusive working environment where people can thrive and be who they are.
About the role
The role of Developer within the Improvement Systems and Technology group provides application software development solutions and capability within a multi-platform integrated environment, liaising with both vendors and MSD business and technical teams. This includes contributing to the systems design and strategic direction for both new and existing applications, while supporting the development and implementation of successful integrated application solutions to meet MSD business needs and strategic objectives.
- Develop application code, according to MSD standards and policies, which reflects the business needs/goals captured in requirements documentation. Clarify and develop objectives and key issues in a structured manner
- Prepare design specifications and other documentation for development solutions in accordance with MSD standards
- Confirm with stakeholders the suitability of proposed solutions including assessment of impact
- Ensure high quality components are released to system/UAT testing, and to production, through the use of sound development techniques and effective unit testing
- Ensure all application code and associated and documentation is peer reviewed Developers and Senior Developers will also:
- Provide soundly based advice to both IT team and business units, from a business and/or technical perspective
- Provide application support for agreed applications, including after-hours support
- Work in project teams developing new applications under the guidance of more senior developers or solution architects
- Work independently on developing application enhancements in consultation with a business analyst
- Identify implications of business requirements for applications architecture
The right candidate will be passionate about developing high quality software products, with strong server and client-side development and problem-solving skills and will collaborate well in a team environment.
- Software product development
- Strong analysis, design, and problem-solving skills
- React (desirable)
It's an exciting time to join the Ministry, with technology modernisation and a complex, rewarding transformation kicking off. The team is truly collaborative and passionate about the part that IST plays in delivering MSD's purpose.
You will work for an organisation that really makes a difference for New Zealanders, while having the opportunity to develop your career through mentoring, professional development and on-the-job training. You will also have access to the following benefits;
- Health insurance
- Vision care
- Banking packages
- Study assistance
- Qualification programmes
- Learning and development
- Te Ao Māori
Salary range: $84,219.00 - $102,045.00
How to apply
Click on Developer (robertwalters.co.nz) to direct you to the Robert Walters website and upload your CV, Cover Letter to complete your online application.
Please note DO NOT apply through the 'apply button' located at the top of the page.
Note: Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the key responsibilities listed in the position description.
Robert Walters is working in partnership with the Ministry of Social Development for the recruitment of selected roles within Improvement Systems and Technology.
Robert Walters will be the primary channel communication for all internal and external candidates on behalf of the MSD Recruitment team.
Internal MSD Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work. This will ensure that your myHR employee profile is visible as internal candidate.
Joining MSD means being part of a whānau that celebrates the diversity each individual represents. We show manaaki, we care about the wellbeing and success of people and want everyone to thrive, and be who they are in a supportive and inclusive working environment. We work together to make a difference for communities while doing the right thing with integrity. We are a Treaty partner committed to strengthening relationships with Māori, Hapū, Iwi and communities to realise their own potential and aspirations.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so we can assist you through the recruitment process.
MSD has a COVID-19 vaccination policy that encourages, but does not require, employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and its variants, unless the role is identified as requiring vaccination at the time.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Social Development|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||IT & computing|
|Attachment:||developer-dec-2022.docx (Word, 288KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.