Lawyer - Northern Regional legal team, Auckland - Permanent at Ministry of Social Development, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
The Ministry of Social Development is a people-centred organisation. We're in communities across the motu, working with partners to help New Zealanders be safe, strong and independent.
We provide social policy and advice to government and assistance, including income, employment and housing support to people of all ages, families, whānau and communities.
As a Te Tiriti o Waitangi partner we are committed to supporting and enabling Māori, whānau, hapū, Iwi and communities to realise their own potential and aspirations.
Our people are as diverse as the communities we serve. We care about the wellbeing and success of our people and provide a supportive and inclusive working environment where people can thrive and be who they are.
Lawyer – Northern Regional legal team, Auckland - Permanent
Full time, Permanent position
Start date will be by mid-July 2023
Location: Central Auckland
Put your legal skills and experience to work, helping New Zealanders to be safe, strong and independent
We are seeking an enthusiastic lawyer with high levels of integrity and professionalism to join our supportive and collegial team, in providing quality legal services for the Ministry of Social Development.
What you'll be doing | He aha tāu e mahi ana
The Ministry of Social Development is involved in supporting New Zealanders through income and housing support, wage subsidy and employment supports. You will work with a broad range of internal clients to support the work that the Ministry of Social Development does to help New Zealanders.
We are looking for a practical lawyer who would enjoy helping our internal clients lawfully achieve their goals. The focus of the role is providing advice to front line staff, advocacy on appeals before the Social Security Appeal Authority and conducting prosecutions in the District Court.
What you'll need to succeed | Ko ngā mea ka hiahiatia e koe kia angitū
Our ideal lawyer:
- is curious, analytical and has an eye for detail
- has an interest in a broad range of legal areas and public service
- provides clear legal advice on complex issues
- has strong research, writing and drafting skills
- enjoys working collaboratively and has excellent relationship building skills
- preferably has 3-4 years PQE in general legal practice including court advocacy, litigation and research experiences
- has a current practicing certificate or the ability to immediately obtain one
- has a current driver's license as you will be required to drive to courts around Auckland and other MSD offices
What's in it for you l Nōu te rourou
We are committed to providing you with a positive work environment and you will work with like-minded people who want to get great results for New Zealanders. We focus on the growth and development of our staff. All our lawyers have the opportunity to assist across the areas undertaken by the broader legal team. You will join an inclusive and fun environment where we celebrate achievements and prioritise development. Our team values diversity and we welcome flexible working.
We care about the wellness of our people and offer them:
- Annual pay progression every October
- $400 Vision-care annual allowance to help subsidise the costs of eye tests and eyewear, including glasses and contact lenses
- Encouraging the wellbeing and wellness of our people through a wellbeing-related healthcare provider reimbursement payment of $70.00 (including GST)
- We support our people to engage in te reo Maori and tikanga Māori and will recognize an employee's competence in te reo Maori by payment of an allowance (based on proficiency)
- Staff discount on Southern Cross Health Insurance
- A capability development framework to support your career aspirations with us
- Lots of practical wellbeing support through Poutuara - peer support, Employee Assistance Programme as our vision is to have a workplace where everyone has a sense of purpose, feels valued, is thriving.
- Generous family leave provisions
Our Core Values | Whanonga pono
Manaaki – We care about the wellbeing and success of people
Mahi tahi – We work together, making a difference for communities
Whanau – We are inclusive and build a sense of belonging and place
Tika me te pono – We do the right thing with integrity
Our values represent who we are and what we stand for - if this appeals to you, do not hesitate, apply now!
For a further discussion about the role, please contact Vaiula Roberts, Team Manager, MSD Legal, by email: Vaiula.Roberts005@msd.govt.nz
We will review the applications as they come through.
The Lawyer role has a salary range of $87,011 - 105,458 dependent on experience and other factors.
How to apply
To apply, click the 'Apply Now' button to upload your CV, cover letter and complete the online application form.
Note: Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the key responsibilities listed in the position description.
All applications must be made online. If this is not possible or if you have any queries, please contact us at email@example.com
Internal MSD Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work. This will ensure that your myHR employee profile is visible as internal candidate.
Closing date: Tuesday, 6 June 2023
Joining MSD means being part of a whānau that celebrates the diversity each individual represents. We show manaaki, we care about the wellbeing and success of people and want everyone to thrive, and be who they are in a supportive and inclusive working environment. We work together to make a difference for communities while doing the right thing with integrity. We are a Treaty partner committed to strengthening relationships with Māori, Hapū, Iwi and communities to realise their own potential and aspirations.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so we can assist you through the recruitment process.
MSD has a COVID-19 vaccination policy that encourages, but does not require, employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and its variants, unless the role is identified as requiring vaccination at the time.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Social Development|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Legal & courts|
|Attachment:||lawyer-oct20.docx (Word, 721KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.