Legislation Officer at Parliamentary Counsel Office, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Who we are
The Parliamentary Counsel Office (PCO) is New Zealand's legislative drafting and publishing office. To achieve our vision of Great Law for New Zealand, we work across government agencies to deliver legislation that is fit for purpose, constitutionally sound, and accessible.
What we are looking for
We are looking for motivated and experienced team players to join our Legislation Services Unit as Legislation Officers.
About the Legislation Services Unit
The Legislation Services Unit is part of our Access & Digital Strategy group, which provides free and ready access for users to up-to-date legislation through the New Zealand Legislation website.
The unit provides a specialist editorial service to Parliamentary Counsel (legislative drafters) throughout the drafting process.
Legislation Officers read and provide editorial suggestions for draft versions of Bills, Supplementary Order Papers, and secondary legislation to ensure that the drafts follow style and formatting rules and are clear, accurate, and consistent. They also check that draft amendments fit correctly with the existing legislation being amended. Legislation Officers sometimes also edit non-legislative documents.
To be considered for the role of Legislation Officer, ideally you would have:
- excellent written English skills and a good grasp of grammar:
- a sound understanding of editorial practices:
- an appreciation of the principles of plain language:
- a keen eye for detail:
- good communication skills:
- the ability to:
- quickly learn and accurately apply PCO styles:
- work flexibly and to tight deadlines:
- work under pressure and prioritise work:
- establish and maintain good working relationships:
- give and receive constructive feedback.
An editorial qualification would be an advantage but is not essential.
Knowledge of the legislative process would also be helpful. If you do not have previous experience working with legislation, you must be able to quickly acquire knowledge to the level needed to carry out the Legislation Officer role.
Working at PCO
- We're collaborative and friendly and share a vision to make great law for New Zealand.
- We're committed to our people's well-being, providing support and opportunities for you to thrive.
- These roles are full-time, but flexible working arrangements to support work–life balance may be available in time.
- Our environment is inclusive—we believe that you should bring your authentic self to work.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a professional and highly respected organisation.
Please see www.pco.govt.nz/current-vacancies for the job description and how to apply.
Applications must include a completed PCO application form, a CV, and a cover letter, sent to email@example.com
Applications close: 28 March 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Parliamentary Counsel Office|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||Legislation Officer JD.pdf (PDF, 108KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.